Goal 2: Addressing inecurity and advancing freedom
Insecurity in the Americas threatens stability, democracy and social and economic development in the hemisphere and at the same time has a direct impact on Canada and Canadians. Canada is deepening cooperation with partners in the Americas to strengthen security, reduce vulnerability to threats and address pressing development challenges. Canada’s engagement aims to ensure reliable institutions that citizens can trust and with which we can collaborate and, promote sustainable and inclusive economic growth.
- Canada has contributed to the training of more than 4,000 military personnel from the Americas through the Military Training Cooperation Programme, thereby assisting the transformation of hemispheric armed forces and security forces into transparent and accountable institutions.
- Canada has supported fair, transparent and inclusive elections in the Americas through Canadian contributions to more than 50 electoral observation missions of the Organization of American States.
- Canada is addressing social and economic development challenges in the Americas such as food security in Central America, maternal, newborn and child health in Haiti, the rights and protection of children and youth in Colombia and education in Peru.
- Canada provided more than $12.5 million to the Americas in 2013-2014 in response to complex emergencies and natural disasters to ensure basic human needs were met, such as physical security, food, water, health care, and shelter.
- Canada is supporting the Regional Security System of the Eastern Caribbean (RSS) Air Wing, which will enhance the capacity of the RSS to conduct counter illicit drug trafficking operations in the Eastern Caribbean.
You may also be interested in...
- Stabilization and Reconstruction Task Force (START)
- Anti-Crime Capacity Building Program (ACCBP)
- Counter-Terrorism Capacity Building Program (CTCBP)
- Global Partnership Program (GPP)
- Canadian Armed Forces Operations
- Canadian International Development Assistance
- Date Modified: