Canada and the Venezuela crisis
Canada is deeply concerned by the rapidly deteriorating political and economic crisis in Venezuela and reaffirms its commitment to the promotion and protection of democracy and human rights.
On September 22, 2017, Canada imposes sanctions on Maduro regime in Venezuela.
On September 15, 2017, Canada welcomes panel to investigate possible crimes against humanity in Venezuela.
On August 18, 2017, Canada condemns announcement made by Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly.
On August 1, 2017, Canada condemns imprisonment of Venezuelan opposition leaders.
On July 26, 2017, Canada calls on Venezuela to cancel Constituent Assembly.
On July 16, 2017, Canada stands with people of Venezuela following popular consultation.
On July 5, 2017, Canada concerned by Venezuela’s latest measures undermining democracy.
On May 28, 2017, the Minister of Foreign Affairs announced that she will participate in an Organization of American States (OAS) ministerial meeting to address the concerning situation in Venezuela: Canada to call for action at Organization of American States meeting on Venezuela.
On May 4, 2017, Canada issued a Statement by Minister of Foreign Affairs on Venezuela and on the announcement to establish a constituent assembly to change the Venezuelan constitution.
On March 31, 2017, Canada calls on Venezuela’s government to restore democracy.
Canada has been instrumental in the passing of several statements and resolutions at the Organization of American States (OAS) supporting the people of Venezuela in their efforts to achieve political and economic reforms.
- September 20, 2017 - Declaration of the Second Meeting of the Lima Group on the Situation in Venezuela
- August 18, 2017 – Statement of the Lima Group on the take-over of the functional competencies of the Venezuelan National Assembly
- August 8, 2017 - Lima Declaration on the situation in Venezuela
- July 26, 2017 - Declaration on the situation in Venezuela
- April 3, 2017 - Resolution on the recent events in Venezuela
- March 23, 2017 - Declaration on Venezuela
- November 16, 2016 - Declaration of the Permanent Council Supporting the National Dialogue in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- October 21, 2016 - Joint Communique of Member States of the OAS on recent events in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- August 11, 2016 - Joint Statement on Recent Developments in The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- June 15, 2016 - Statement by Ministers and Heads of Delegation on the Situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- June 1, 2016 - Declaration of the Permanent Council about the Situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
At the Human Rights Council on November 1, 2016, Canada issued its Universal Periodic Review recommendations regarding Venezuela.
- Date Modified: