Canada is deeply concerned by the rapidly deteriorating political and economic crisis in Venezuela and reaffirms its commitment to the promotion and protection of democracy and human rights.
On May 28, 2017, the Minister of Foreign Affairs announced that she will participate in an Organization of American States (OAS) ministerial meeting to address the concerning situation in Venezuela: Canada to call for action at Organization of American States meeting on Venezuela.
On May 4, 2017, Canada issued a Statement by Minister of Foreign Affairs on Venezuela and on the announcement to establish a constituent assembly to change the Venezuelan constitution.
On March 31, 2017, Canada calls on Venezuela’s government to restore democracy.
Canada has been instrumental in the passing of several statements and resolutions at the Organization of American States (OAS) supporting the people of Venezuela in their efforts to achieve political and economic reforms.
- April 3, 2017 - Resolution on the recent events in Venezuela
- March 23, 2017 - Declaration on Venezuela
- November 16, 2016 - Declaration of the Permanent Council Supporting the National Dialogue in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- October 21, 2016 - Joint Communique of Member States of the OAS on recent events in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- August 11, 2016 - Joint Statement on Recent Developments in The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- June 15, 2016 - Statement by Ministers and Heads of Delegation on the Situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- June 1, 2016 - Declaration of the Permanent Council about the Situation in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
At the Human Rights Council on November 1, 2016, Canada issued its Universal Periodic Review recommendations regarding Venezuela.
- Date Modified: