Intercultural Effectiveness Pre-Posting Course
This course focuses on effective intercultural performance in a Canadian mission and is designed to build or enhance intercultural competencies in the areas of communication and interpersonal relationships. Also featured are the challenges of individual and family adaptation. As part of the two days, participants receive country and area-specific information and meet with a professional from the country of assignment. The course is designed to be relevant and applicable across a broad range of international experiences, from a first posting to multiple postings.
Participants will enhance their knowledge and skills, focusing on the specific context of the mission, in the following areas of intercultural competence:
- Understanding the concept of culture
- Understanding how culture influences human behaviour and manifests itself in daily life and at work
- Communicating effectively
- Adapting interculturally
- Building effective relationships with local and international colleagues
- Developing strategies for negotiating the intercultural mission context effectively
- Building understanding of the post country and its culture(s)
Who is this for?
Government of Canada employees and their spouses/partners going on posting to Canadian missions abroad.
Couples are asked to attend the same two-day Intercultural Effectiveness Pre-posting Course unless the posting employee will be attending either the Supervision at the Mission or Program Managers Abroad course. If this is not possible, please contact the Centre to explore alternate options.
When and where?
There are no dates currently scheduled for this course. This course is either in the process of being scheduled or will not be offered until later in the year.
For specific inquiries about this course, including scheduling and registration information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org