Publications and Reports
- Handbook of Export and Import Commodity Codes
- Export Controls Handbook
- A Guide to Canada’s Export Control List
- Notices to Importers/Exporters
Annual Reports to Parliament on the Administration of the Export and Import Controls Permits Act
These are the Reports of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, respecting operations under the Export and Import Permits Act for the years 2011 to 2016.
The Act provides that the Governor in Council may establish lists known as the Import Control List (ICL), the Export Control List (ECL) and the Area Control List (ACL). For each one of these lists, the Act sets out criteria that govern the inclusion of goods or countries on the respective lists and provides that the Governor in Council may revoke, amend, vary or re-establish any of the lists. Control over the flow of goods contained on these lists or to specific destinations is effected through the issuance of import or export permits.
- Annual Report to Parliament on the Administration of the Export and Import Permits Act – 2016
- Annual Report to Parliament on the Administration of the Export and Import Permits Act – 2015
- ARCHIVED - Annual Report to Parliament on the Administration of the Export and Import Permits Act – 2014
- ARCHIVED - Annual Report for 2013
- ARCHIVED - Annual Report for 2012
- ARCHIVED - Annual Report for 2011
Reports on Exports of Military Goods from Canada
As part of Canada's effort to encourage greater transparency on military exports, DFATD has published periodic reports on annual exports of military goods and technology since 1990.
The statistics on military exports in the following reports were obtained from quarterly military reports conditions filed by exporters on the actual shipments for each of the permits issued to them under the Export and Import Permits Act. These reports include the country of destination and a description of the goods and their value.
Since permits are not required for the export of most Group 2 items to the United States, the reports do not include statistics on military exports to the United States.
Statistics relating to the export of military goods and technology, including conventional arms and ammunition, can be found in the "Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada" published by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development. These statistics are based on the export of military goods and technology as identified in the Munitions List (Group 2) of Canada’s Export Control List, which reflect commitments made in the multilateral Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies and commitments made in the Organization of American States, as well as certain additional unilateral controls implemented by Canada. Canada’s export control regime, including the Export Control List, is established and administered under the authority of Canada's Export and Import Permits Act.
Other statistics regarding the export of arms and ammunitions can be found on other government sites such as Industry Canada's "Trade Data On-Line" and Statistic Canada’s “Canadian Industrial Merchandise Trade Database”. This data is compiled based on categories of items negotiated at the World Customs Organization for the purpose of applying global customs tariff codes. The "Arms and Ammunitions" category of items negotiated via the World Customs Organization does not, in many cases, reflect what many countries would consider conventional arms and ammunition. (For example, goods such as flare guns used in oil and gas drilling, ammunition to frighten birds at airports, etc. may be listed under the “Arms and Ammunition” coding). The Canadian Commercial Corporation also generates their own export data based on contracts between Canadian suppliers and military end-users. Again, these statistics may include items which are not strictly military in nature, such as storage containers.
- Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada for the year 2016
- Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada for the year 2015
- ARCHIVED - Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada for the year 2014
- ARCHIVED - 2012-2013 Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada
- ARCHIVED - 2010-2011 Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada
- ARCHIVED - 2007-2009 Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada
- Date Modified: