Export Control Legislation and Regulations
Key Regulations and General Export Permits
In accordance with the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA), all goods and technology destined for countries contained on the Area Control List (ACL) and all goods listed on the Export Control List (ECL), with the exception of some goods destined for the United States, require an export permit.
The EIPA gives the Governor-in-Council the power to establish the ECL to control the export of goods for any of the following purposes:
- to control the export of arms, ammunition, implements or munitions of war or articles of a strategic nature or value the use of which might be detrimental to the security of Canada;
- encourage the further processing of certain natural resources in Canada;
- to ensure that there is an adequate supply and distribution of the article in Canada for defence or other needs.
- limit the export of goods in circumstances of surplus supply and depressed prices;
- to implement an intergovernmental arrangement or commitment.
The EIPA grants the Governor-in-Council the authority to establish the ACL; a list of countries to which it is deemed necessary to control the export of any goods.
- Area Control List (ACL)
- Automatic Firearms Country Control List
- Export Control List(ECL)
- Export Permit Regulations
- Exemption Regulations (Persons)
- Import Control List, items 70 to 73 and 90 to 91
- Import Permit Regulations
- Transhipment Regulations
* Currently under review
- General Export Permit No. 1 - Export of Goods for Special and Personal Use Permit
- General Export Permit No. 3 - Export of Consumable Stores Supplied to Vessels and Aircraft Permit
- General Export Permit No. 5 - Export of Logs Permit
- General Export Permit No. 12 - United States Origin Goods
- General Export Permit No. 18 - Portable Personal Computers and Associated Software
- General Export Permit No. 27 - Nuclear-Related Dual-Use Goods
- General Export Permit No. 29 - Eligible Industiral Goods
- General Export Permit No. 30 - Certain Industrial Goods to Eligible Countries and Territories
- General Export Permit No. 37 - Toxic Chemicals and Precursors to the United States
- General Export Permit No. 38 - CWC Toxic Chemical and Precursor Mixtures
- Date Modified: