Export Import Controls System II (EICS-II)
The Trade Controls and Technical Barriers Bureau of the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) is responsible for the administration of the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA). The Act authorizes the Government of Canada to:
- control the import and export of certain goods as defined by various inter-governmental arrangements
- control the export of natural resources and other goods for the purpose of ensuring both adequate supply and for the security of Canada
- issue export and import permits for controlled goods
To satisfy this mandate, the Bureau relies on DFATD's Export Import Controls System (EICS) and Export Controls On-Line (EXCOL) applications. The EICS and EXCOL systems applications are currently operating under significant technical risks of failure due to their dependence on outdated and non-supported software platforms. Both systems are classified as mission critical systems for the Department and the initiative for their renewal and improvement was identified as a Department priority.
The existing systems will be replaced by a single, web-enabled platform called EICS-II. Replacing the two aging systems will ensure stable application availability, will significantly reduce the number of incidents reported by our clients and will result in quicker, more efficient and higher quality interactions between DFATD and its clients.
The EICS-II represents a change for our clientele; however we feel this will result in a modernized and coordinated Import and Export control system which will allow us to more effectively manage the permit relationships between Importers, Exporters, Brokers and DFATD. In addition to including the same level of functionality currently provided by the two older systems, the EICS-II system will offer a number of significant improvements to serve the ongoing needs of Canadian businesses and individuals including;
- Support for Online Quota Applications
- Clients will be able to register online
- Clients will be able to access self-service options (quota balances, enquiries etc.) online
- Improved system communications (ability to follow up on permit processing status etc.)
- Improved batch permit application process (retirement of email EDI for new method)
To facilitate a smooth transition to the new system, the Trade Controls and Technical Barriers Bureau (TIA) will be providing clients with adequate training, support, and literature that may include user manuals to facilitate EICS-II system adoption.
- EICS-II Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- About the Trade Controls and Technical Barriers Bureau Systems
Further information related to the development of the system and the project will be shared with clients over the coming months. Please send questions and/or comments about the EICS-II system via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Modified: