Development Challenges and Priorities
To advance Canada's aid effectiveness agenda and to sharpen the focus of Canada's international assistance, the Government of Canada has established five priorities for the international assistance envelope.
- Increasing food security
- Securing the future of children and youth
- Stimulating sustainable economic growth
- Advancing democracy
- Promoting stability and security
Canada is leading a global commitment, the Muskoka Initiative, to improve maternal, newborn and child health in developing countries and reduce the number of preventable deaths, as announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper at the G-8 Summit in June 2010. Canada renewed its efforts in May 2014 in Toronto during Saving Every Woman Every Child: Within Arm's Reach, an international Summit on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health issues.
- Increasing environmental sustainability
- Advancing gender equality
- Helping to strengthen governance institutions and practices
With this approach, Canada can focus on key development challenges, and ensure that its aid investments lead to concrete results for the world's poorest.
- Date Modified: