Internship Opportunities

In a developing country

So, you've decided that you want to intern or volunteer overseas. You are ready to experience how 'the other half' lives… you are ready to be hot, thirsty, tired, frustrated and enjoy it. You are ready to meet people who will inspire you and others who will annoy you. You are ready to leave behind family and friends and make new connections. You are ready to learn about new cultures, new languages and new ways of doing things.

First stop: International Youth Internship Program (IYIP), for young Canadians aged 19-30, graduating from a post-secondary program. This program gives young Canadians the opportunity to apply their knowledge, gain international work experience and develop skills in various sectors. It is part of the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy aimed at providing youth with tools and experience they need to launch successful careers. Interns are placed with Canadian non-governmental organizations and with host organizations in developing countries for at least five months. On average, there are about 400 international development interns placed in 65 countries with about 45 organizations each year.

If you are an Aboriginal youth between the ages of 18 and 35, interested in international development work, the International Aboriginal Youth Internships initiative may be for you! For more information, visit the International Aboriginal Youth Internship Program.

In Canada

You're ready to volunteer or intern for an organization, but not yet ready to go overseas? Don't worry, there are many organizations in Canada that welcome volunteers and host interns. It's just a matter of finding the right fit.

If you are interested in volunteering for a non-governmental organization (NGO), contact some in your area and see if they need volunteers. Check out Charity Village, a Canadian website for the non-profit sector with job listings, volunteer listings and other resources or Work in Non-Profits. When browsing through these sites, remember to search using the word 'international'.

If you are looking for an internship, check out the internships section of Campus Access — here you can find both Canadian and international opportunities.

If you are interested in a paid internship with the federal government, be sure to apply to the Federal Student Work Experience Program which offers students work experience related to their field of study. Jobs are filled throughout the year, although recruitment for summer positions peaks between March and June.

The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) offers year-long paid internships in specific fields mainly in Canada. Visit IDRC Research Awards for more information.