THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA and THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA, hereinafter referred to as "the Parties",
DESIRING to promote close co-operation between their countries;
WISHING to encourage mobility and exchanges of youth; cooperation and partnership between the two countries; and the enhancement of excellence and competitiveness of educational institutions and businesses, especially small and medium businesses, in the two countries;
WISHING to develop opportunities for their young citizens to complement their post-secondary education, to acquire work experience, and to improve their knowledge of the other country's languages, culture and society, and thus to promote mutual understanding between the two countries;
CONVINCED of the value of facilitating such youth exchanges;
HAVE AGREED on the following provisions:
The Parties agree to simplify and facilitate the administrative procedures applicable to young citizens of one country who intend to enter and stay in the territory of the other country to complement their post-secondary education, to obtain employment or practical workplace experience, or to improve their knowledge of the other country's languages, culture and society.
1. The Parties shall consider the following citizens of either country as eligible to benefit from the application of this Agreement:
(a) Young citizens, including post-secondary graduates, who intend to obtain further training in the host country under a pre-arranged contract of employment in support of their career development;
(b) Registered students of a post-secondary institution in their home country who intend to complete part of their academic curriculum in the host country by undertaking a pre-arranged internship or work placement, including in the context of an arrangement between post-secondary institutions;
(c) Young citizens, including registered students, who intend to travel in the host country and who intend to obtain remunerated employment in order to supplement their financial resources.
1. The Parties shall consider as qualified to benefit from the application of this Agreement, young citizens of either country who fall under one of the categories referred to in Article 2 and who submit an individual application to the other country's diplomatic mission or consular post responsible for the territory of the country of which they are citizens or in which they have been lawfully admitted, provided that they fulfill the following conditions:
(a) Meet all requirements of Estonian and Canadian immigration legislation and regulations, including admissibility, to the extent not already set out in sub-paragraphs (b) to (h) below;
(b) Be between the ages of 18 and 35 inclusively on the date the application is received by the mission or consular post;
(c) Be an Estonian or Canadian citizen and hold a valid Estonian or Canadian passport, and be in possession of a departure ticket or sufficient financial resources to purchase such ticket;
(d) Not be accompanied by dependents;
(e) Have proof of the financial resources necessary to provide for their needs at the beginning of their authorized stay in the host country;
(f) Pay the applicable fee(s);
(g) Agree to take out health care insurance, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the entire duration of their authorized stay, prior to their entry into the host country; and
(h) As the case may be:
(i) show that they have obtained a pre-arranged contract of employment in support of their career development; or
(ii) provide documentation proving registration at a post-secondary institution in their home country and that they have obtained a pre-arranged internship or work placement; or
(iii) confirm their intention to travel in the host country and work in order to supplement their financial resources.
2. The Parties may consider qualified citizens to benefit from the application of this Agreement for a maximum of two occasions, provided that each stay is under a different category of the ones referred to in Article 2. The stays shall be discontinuous. The duration of each authorized stay may not exceed one year.
1. Subject to public policy considerations, each Party shall issue to the other country's qualified citizens pursuant to Article 3, a document facilitating access to its territory. The document shall be valid for a maximum of one year and shall specify the reason for the stay. In the case of Canada, this document shall consist of a letter of introduction. In the case of the Republic of Estonia, this document shall consist of a multiple entry visa valid for youth exchanges (a "visa") .
2. The Parties shall ensure that the documents defined in the preceding paragraph are issued to qualified citizens by their country's diplomatic mission or consular post in the country where the application was submitted pursuant to Article 3.
1. The Government of the Republic of Estonia shall issue to Canadian citizens qualified to benefit from the application of this Agreement a visa that allows the visa holder to work and reside temporarily in Republic of Estonia for the duration of their authorized stay.
2. The Government of Canada shall issue to Estonian citizens who hold a valid letter of introduction, upon their arrival in Canada and without reference to its labour market situation, a work permit valid for the duration of their authorized stay, provided they meet all requirements of the Canadian immigration legislation.
Work permits issued by the Government of Canada pursuant to a letter of introduction shall be valid throughout Canada. Visas issued by the Government of the Republic of Estonia shall be valid throughout the Republic of Estonia.
1. Qualified citizens from either of the two countries who are benefiting from the application of this Agreement are subjects to the laws in force in the host country, particularly with regard to the practice of regulated professions.
2. The laws and regulations of the host country relating to unemployment benefits, working conditions and wages shall apply. In the case of Canada, the laws and regulations relating to working conditions and wages primarily fall within the jurisdiction of the provinces and territories.
The Parties shall encourage the organizations concerned in their respective countries to lend their support to the application of this Agreement, particularly by giving appropriate advice to citizens of the other country so that they can obtain information and look for work placements or employment.
1. The Parties shall determine on an annual basis and on the basis of reciprocity, through an exchange of diplomatic notes, the number of citizens that will be allowed to benefit from the application of this Agreement.
2. The Parties shall determine by mutual consent, through an exchange of diplomatic notes, the minimum amount of financial resources required under Article 3, paragraph 1(e).
3. The Parties shall count the number of citizens benefiting from this Agreement from the effective date of this Agreement to the end of the current year, and then annually from January 1 to December 31.
4. The Parties shall decide subsequent administrative measures through an exchange of diplomatic notes.
1. Each of the Parties shall notify the other, through diplomatic channels, of the completion of the internal procedures required for this Agreement to come into force.
2. This Agreement shall come into force on the first day of the second month following the date of receipt of the last of the notifications referred to in the preceding paragraph.
3. Each of the Parties may at any time terminate this Agreement or temporarily suspend its application in part or in whole by giving to the other Party a written notice to that effect through diplomatic channels. Termination or suspension of this Agreement shall be effective 30 days following the date of the notice. Termination or suspension of this Agreement shall not affect the right to stay of persons already admitted under the terms of this Agreement.
4. The provisions of this Agreement may be amended in such a manner as may be agreed in writing between the Parties. Such amendments shall enter into force in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 2 of this Article.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, being duly authorized thereto by their respective Governments, have signed this Agreement.
DONE at Tallinn, in two original copies, this 14 day of December 2009, in the English, French and Estonian languages, each version being equally authentic.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA