Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
International Women's Day
Advancing Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and Girls
Canada is committed to building a better world where women and girls are empowered to reach their full potential. It is also a world where men and boys actively engage to support this effort.
At home and abroad, we can help create more equal societies. Each year, March 8th marks International Women’s Day. It is a time to celebrate the progress we’ve made and look ahead to the challenges we face to advance gender equality
For the month of March, we will highlight Canada’s achievements in foreign affairs, international development and trade to promote women and girls as powerful agents of change. These achievements range from:
- protecting and advocating for equal rights, representation and fair access to all advancement opportunities for women and girls around the world;
- putting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls at the heart of Canada’s approach to international assistance;
- and demonstrating how women entrepreneurs are driving economic growth and poverty reduction in Canada and around the world.
Information on gender equality, the empowerment of women and girls, and the promotion and protection of their human rights.
Access information, services and networking opportunities for women doing business across borders.
Find examples of how Canada is a world leader in the promotion and protection of women’s rights and gender equality.
Information about improving the health and rights of women and children around the world.
Canada’s offices abroad taking action to end child, early forced marriage.
Canada is working to end child, early and forced marriage.
Learn how Canada promotes and protects human rights and reflects Canadian values on the international stage.
Call on the masses or call on yourself to help forge a more inclusive, gender equal world.
#EqualityMatters - International Women’s Day 2017.
A leading global movement created by Canada and the UN for women's economic empowerment spanning over 190 countries.
Join the conversation
- Statement by Minister of Foreign Affairs on International Women’s Day
- Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on International Women’s Day
- Canada announces support for sexual and reproductive health and rights
- International Trade Minister promotes Canada’s mining sector at Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada convention
- Minister Bibeau champions sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Date Modified: