Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Canada provides consular assistance to Canadians who wish to leave Egypt
Civil unrest and demonstrations have occurred in many parts of Egypt since January 23, 2011, and some have turned violent.
The number of Canadians registered with us is 1,418. As of now, the DFAIT Operations Centre has dealt with over 20,839 calls.
Seven flights chartered by the Government of Canada have successfully evacuated more than 520 Canadian citizens from Egypt. These flights, starting January 31st, took Canadians to Frankfurt, Paris and Amman where they were met by consular staff who assisted in arranging onward travel and overnight accommodation. A Canadian government chartered flight departed Cairo at 0:15 a.m. local time on February 6, 2011, bound for Paris and no further flights are planned at this time.
Canadian-arranged flights have also helped evacuate citizens of Australia, the United States and Great Britain, where space permits.
Requests for consular assistance may be made by calling collect to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada's Emergency Operations Centre in Ottawa at 613-996-8885 or 613-943-1055, or by contacting the Canadian embassy in Cairo at 20 (2) 2791-8700. Those calling the embassy from Canada must dial 011 before the number.
Friends and relatives in Canada seeking information on Canadian citizens believed to be in Egypt should contact DFAIT's Operations Centre by calling 1-800-387-3124 or 1-800-606-5499, or by sending an email to email@example.com.
- 2011-02-14 | Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada following the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt
- 2011-02-06 | Update on the Situation in Egypt
- 2011-02-04 | Statement by Minister of State Ablonczy on Egypt to House of Commons
- 2011-02-03 | Statement by Minister Cannon on Egypt to House of Commons
- 2011-02-03 | Update on the Situation in Egypt
- 2011-02-03 | Advice to Canadians in Egypt
- 2011-02-02 | Minister Cannon Condemns Violence in Egypt
- 2011-02-01 | Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on recent events in Egypt
- 2011-02-01 | Ministerial Statement on Egypt
- 2011-01-31 | Minister Cannon Announces Additional Phone Numbers for Canadian Citizens Wishing to Evacuate Egypt
- 2011-01-31 | Minister Cannon Updates Canadians on Evacuation Plans from Egypt
- 2011-01-30 | Ministerial Statement on Egypt
- 2011-01-27 | Statement by Minister Cannon on Situation in Egypt
Travel Resources and Warnings
- Travel Report: Egypt
- Foreign Travel: Assistance to Canadians once you are abroad
- Registration of Canadians travelling abroad
- Date Modified: