- 2015-07-31 - Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival
- 2015-07-31 - PM announces the extension of Operation REASSURANCE
- 2015-07-29 - Minister Nicholson Comments on UN Tribunal Vote on MH17
- 2015-07-21 - Minister Nicholson Announces Delivery of Mobile Field Hospital to Ukraine
- 2015-07-17 - Statement by the Prime Minister Of Canada on the first anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17
Canada’s Response to the Situation in Ukraine
Canada is among the strongest international supporters of Ukraine's efforts to restore stability and implement democratic and economic reforms. Together with our allies and partners, we continue to call on Russia to follow through on its Geneva commitments to de-escalate the crisis and call off its provocateurs. Ukraine’s sovereign territory must be respected and the Ukrainian people must be free to determine their own future.
In the face of ongoing Russian military aggression and illegal occupation, Canada has taken a number of steps to support the Ukrainian people as they work to restore political and economic stability, including imposing sanctions against those responsible for the ongoing crisis. Canada has also taken steps to enhance the readiness of NATO through a number of reassurance measures to reinforce the Alliance’s collective defense.
The Government of Canada is committed to supporting Ukraine during this important period of transition. Until Russia clearly demonstrates its respect for Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity, Canada will continue to work with its allies and like-minded countries to apply pressure that will further isolate Russia economically and politically.
While there is no nationwide advisory in effect for Ukraine, Canadians are advised to exercise a high degree of caution. Please be advised that regional advisories to avoid non-essential travel and avoid all travel are in place for certain areas. We strongly recommend that Canadians consult the Travel Advice for Ukraine for regular updates and register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
In 2014, Ukraine was confirmed as a country of focus for the Government of Canada’s international development efforts. The goal of Canada’s international development program in Ukraine is to improve economic opportunities for Ukrainians in a strengthened democracy. Canada is the sixth-largest bilateral donor in Ukraine.
- 2015-05-14 - Reminder - Minister Nicholson to Hold Media Teleconference from Turkey
- 2015-05-13 - Minister Nicholson to Hold Media Teleconference from Turkey
- 2015-05-11 - Minister Nicholson to Hold Media Teleconference About Trip to Ukraine
- 2015-04-16 - Member of Parliament Ted Opitz to Address Media on Canadian Donations of Non-lethal Equipment to Ukraine
- 2015-03-26 - Minister Nicholson to Meet Ukraine’s Minister Pavlenko
- 2015-06-06 - PM meets with Petro Poroshenko, President of Ukraine, in Kyiv
- 2015-06-06 - PM announces new projects to advance democracy and help reform Ukraine's security sector during a meeting with Arseniy Yatsenyuk, Prime Minister of Ukraine, in Kyiv
- 2015-06-06 - PM arrives in Ukraine for a bilateral visit ahead of the G-7 Schloss Elmau Summit in Germany
- 2015-06-05 - PM departs for Ukraine for a bilateral visit and Germany for the G-7 Schloss Elmau Summit
- 2015-06-01 - PM announces that he will attend the G-7 Summit in Germany and travel to Ukraine, Poland, Vatican City and Rome
- Date Modified: