Ontario is a region where innovative thinking allows new ideas to flourish. With dynamic markets and continual growth, it’s where talented, creative people are pioneering the latest concepts and products. Ontario creates the conditions for success by being your proactive partner. Investing in Ontario is a choice so smart, it could be your Next Big Idea.
Ontario's business environment offers companies key strategic advantages for global success. Here you'll benefit from highly competitive business costs that can boost your company's growth and profitability, such as:
- The lowest overall business costs in the G7.
- One of the most internationally competitive corporate tax rates.
- Employer health care costs that are approximately half those in the U.S. on average.
- A streamlined regulatory environment, designed to save businesses millions and reduce barriers to profitability.
Locating your business in Ontario means you’ll be located in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) region, the largest such region in the world, offering:
- Expanded access to a thriving combined market of 470 million people, producing over $19 trillion in goods and services annually.
- NAFTA facilitated two-way goods trade valued at $753 million between Ontario and the United States each day.Ontario's transportation system includes highways, internationally connected railways with advanced traffic management systems, worldwide cargo aviation systems and extensive inland and international marine shipping facilities.
- R&D tax credits that are the most generous of the G7 countries.
- Abundant institutional and financial resources, such as the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs, Investment Accelerator Fund and Ontario Centres of Excellence focused on fostering innovation and creativity.
- A comprehensive innovation plan consisting of corporate income tax reductions, streamlined tax administration and red-tape reduction.
- The most educated workforce in Canada: 64% of adults have completed post-secondary education, the most of all OECD countries.
- Highly reliable: Continually one of the top ranked workforces in the world for reliability.
- The most diverse province in Canada: With over 150 languages spoken, Ontario is Canada's most culturally diverse province. Your company will have access to a multicultural labour force that can provide reliable, market-leading product support, customer service, pre-consultation and planning services, and after-sales support to virtually anywhere in the world.
- Extensive educational network: Ontario's 44 colleges and universities and over 400 registered, private career colleges ensure that graduates have the skills and knowledge to not only perform, but also excel in your business.
Innovation and R&DThe Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Program is a tax incentive program that encourages Canadian businesses of all sizes and in all sectors to conduct research and development in Canada. The SR&ED Program offers cash refunds and/or tax credits for expenditures on eligible R&D work done in Canada.
Ontario also offers other R&D tax incentives that are among the most generous in the world.
Regional development FundsA number of regional development programs provide funding for economic development. These funds support projects that create jobs, encourage innovation, collaboration and cluster development, and attract private sector investment.
Apprenticeship, training and educationOntario's Apprenticeship Training Tax Credit gives companies a 35 - 45% refundable tax credit on salaries and wages for new apprentices.
Co-operative Education Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit available to employers who hire students enrolled in a co-operative education program at an Ontario university or college. The maximum credit for each work placement is $3,000.
Sector-specific fundingThe Advanced Manufacturing Fund is designed to promote the continued growth and productivity of Ontario’s advanced manufacturing sector by supporting large-scale transformative manufacturing activities, advancing adoption of cutting-edge technologies, establishing clusters or global supply chains and fostering collaboration between the private sector and higher education and research institutions.
Ontario also offers wide-ranging incentives in other sectors such as aerospace, automotive, cleantech, food, IT/digital media, life sciences and mining.
- Financial services
- Information technology
- Life sciences
- Robotics and automation