St. John's is the capital city of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Population (Metro Area): 214,300
- City of Ocean Excellence
- Economic hub of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cultural capital
- Centre for post-secondary education and research in the province
The City of St. John's works to support the advancement of several strategic sectors as identified in Roadmap 2021: A Strategic Economic Plan for St. John's.
- Ocean technology - expertise and capabilities in ocean-related industries with many knowledge-intensive enterprises developing specialized, innovative products for niche markets, including harsh environments related to the Arctic.
- Energy (oil & gas, hydro) - strong base of companies, research facilities and expertise related to offshore petroleum development and technology
- Culture and tourism – a leading Canadian artistic metropolis and visitor destination
- Professional scientific and technical services – positive employment growth
- Education (home to Memorial University, Atlantic Canada’s largest university)