Global Business Leaders Series - Milan
November 28, 2013
Invest in Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Embassy in Rome and members of the Consider Canada City Alliance (CCCA) brought together senior policy-makers and business leaders from Milan and Canada for an informative discussion highlighting Canada’s unique investment opportunities, particularly in advanced manufacturing and information technologies.
The full day seminar in Milan included both an investment plenary in the morning, in conjunction with an afternoon session on innovation in Oil & Gas in Alberta. The keynote speaker Paolo Zegna, in his role as Vice-President – Cofindustria, noted the excellent business relationship between Italy and Canada with the potential to grow impressively. The first of two morning panels focused on Canada’s economy and business environment with Jayson Myers (Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters), Renato Discenza (Invest Toronto) and Paul Legault (Miller Thompson), and was moderated by Eric Reguly (Globe & Mail). Of particular note was the discussion on CETA, in the context of the U.S. being unlikely to have a similar agreement for many years, thus making Canada the only country to have extensive privileged access to both the American and European markets. The animated Q&A session that followed covered the benefits of CETA for small to medium enterprises, the vast scale of upcoming infrastructure projects in Canada, and the status of Keystone XL. The second panel focused on Canada as an investment destination and featured Italian representatives from Prinoth, Ingegneria dei Sistemi, Arredo Plast Group, Ferrero, and Astaldi. All spoke highly and in practical detail of their experiences in Canada, and notably, when asked about drawbacks, essentially answered there were none.
Members of the CCCA also met one-on-one with close to 150 business executives in the region to discuss investment opportunities in Canada. Several investment contacts, prospects and leads have been made to date.
- Peter McGovern, Canada’s Ambassador to Italy
- Paolo Zegna, Vice President, Confindustria
- Werner Amort, President, Prinoth SpA
- Giovanni Bardelli, President & CEO, IDS - Ingegneria dei Sistemi SpA
- Laura Cavestri, Journalist, Il Sole 24 Ore
- Andrea Citterio, CEO, Arredo Plast Group
- Giuseppe Del Duca, Main Industrial Manufacturing Site Manager, Ferrero SpA
- Renato Discenza, President & CEO, Invest Toronto
- Mario Lanciani, Managing Director for the Americas, Astaldi SpA
- E. Paul Legault, Business Lawyer & Partner, Miller Thompson LLP
- Dr. Jayson Myers, President, Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association
- Eric Reguly , European Business Correspondent, The Globe & Mail
For more information: