Global Business Leaders Series - Tokyo
February 25, 2014
Understanding Canada’s Business Environment for the Life Sciences, ICT and Agri-food Value added Processing Sectors
Invest in Canada, in partnership with the Embassy of Canada in Japan and members of the Consider Canada City Alliance (CCCA) brought together senior policy-makers and business leaders from Tokyo, Japan and Canada for an informative discussion highlighting Canada’s unique investment opportunities, particularly in agri-food, information and communication technology, and life sciences.
Bank of Canada Deputy Governor John Murray opened the Tokyo plenary session with a keynote speech highlighting Canada’s strong economic fundamentals. Three Canadian investment champions then presented at concurrent sessions in the life sciences (Richard Meadows, CTI Life Sciences Fund), ICT (James Christopher, North Plains) and agri-food value added processing (Mark Pickard, InfraReady Products) sectors. The champions were followed by several senior executive Japanese speakers, who discussed their experiences investing in Canada.
Members of the Consider Canada City Alliance met one-on-one with close to 50 business executives in the region to discuss investment opportunities in Canada.
With a solid banking system, a stable economy, highly skilled workforce, low taxes, and a strong commitment to free and open trade, evidenced by NAFTA, the recently announced Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), and our ongoing participation in both the Trans-Pacific free trade negotiations and bilateral negotiations with Japan, Canada is an excellent investment destination choice for investors.
- Mackenzie Clugston, Ambassador of Canada to Japan
- John Murray, Deputy Governor, Bank of Canada
- Michael Darch, President, Consider Canada City Alliance
- James Christopher, President and CEO, North Plains
- Richard Meadows, Managing Partner, CTI Life Sciences Fund
- Mark Pickard, President, InfraReady Products
- Tsutomo Kamijo, President & CEO, Sapporo Holdings Ltd.
- Tetsuyuki Maruyama, Senior Vice President & Head of Pharmaceutical Research Division, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd.
- Ryo Nagano, Senior Vice President, Business Management & Support Unit, Fujitsu Limited
- Hiroaki Yasutake, Managing Executive Officer & Development Unit Director Chief, Rakuten, Inc.
- Eric Chung, Vice President, DeNA Co., Ltd.
For more information: