Canada is home to the 8th largest pharmaceutical market in the world,Footnote 1 employing 27,000 people in 490 establishments,Footnote 2 and continues to grow at a compound annual rate of 2.2%. It is home to the world’s ten largest pharmaceutical companies, several of which manage R&D and manufacturing operations.Footnote 3
“ Bringing a global pharmaceutical development site to Roche Canada is a testament to our skilled and talented workforce, and offers tremendous opportunities to solidify [Canada’s] reputation as a global research hub. ”
Ronnie Miller, President and CEO, Hoffman-La Roche Ltd.
- Canada’s pharmaceutical sector is ideally suited to the current climate of patent expirations, and the demand for new licensing prospects, partnerships and alternative forms of investment.
Leading Networks, Research Groups and Organizations
- Centre for Drug Research and Development
- Genome Alberta
- Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO)
- MaRS Centre
- Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
- Quebec Consortium of Drug Discovery (CQDM)
- Brain Repair Centre
- Dalhousie University Medical School
- National Research Council – Industrial Research and Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP)
- Export Development Canada (EDC)
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Footnote 1
Industry Canada. Canada’s growth is considered between the years 2009-2013. Life Sciences Industries: Pharmaceutical Industry Profile.
- Footnote 2
Statistics Canada, special tabulation, unpublished data, Annual Survey of manufacturers and Logging, 2004 to 2011.
- Footnote 3
PharmaBoardroom.com. Top 50 pharma companies in 2012, by global sales. December 2013.
- Footnote 4
KPMG. Competitive Alternatives, 2014.
Find an AdvisorFind an advisor in one of our 174 locations.
- Date Modified: