Canada’s functional food and natural health products industry is made up of over 750 companies that generated over $16.4 billion in revenues in 2011.Footnote 1 Foreign investors are attracted by Canada’s agricultural production and agri-food export base which produced almost 84 million tons of grains, oilseeds and specialty cropsFootnote 2 making Canada the world’s eighth largest exporter of agricultural products.Footnote 3
“… Our decision to build in Ontario was made based on a number of reasons, such as proximity to transportation, the total cost to manufacture, and the very warm welcome and helpful support put forward by government. And as a fourth generation family owned business, our company thinks in generations - not years. We want to feel at home, and have an unwavering commitment to building a sustainable presence in the communities in which we do business…”
Martin Reintjes, Executive Vice President, Dr. Oetker
- Government spending in support of R&D in agriculture and agri-food has increased over the past years, and is estimated to be approximately $561 million for the 2011-12 fiscal year.Footnote 5
Leading Networks, Research Groups and Support Programs
- Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals (University of Manitoba)
- Guelph Food Technology Centre (University of Guelph)
- Human Nutrition Group (University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science (University of Alberta)
- Institute of nutrition and Functional Foods (INAF) (Université Laval)
- Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences (University of Prince Edward Island)
- Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED)
- Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP)
- Export Development Canada (EDC)
- Business Development Bank (BDC)
- Footnote 1
Statistics Canada, Results from the 2011 Functional Food and Natural Health Products Survey.
- Footnote 2
Statistics Canada. The Daily. Production of principal field crops, November 2013.
- Footnote 3
World Trade Organization. International Trade and Market Access Data Online
- Footnote 4
KPMG. Competitive Alternatives, (2014)
- Footnote 5
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. An Overview of the Canadian Agriculture and Agri-Food System, 2013.
Find an AdvisorFind an advisor near you.
- Date Modified: