Canada’s agri-food sector is one of the world’s most innovative and globally integrated.
“ Expanding and upgrading our capacity in Canada is a natural way to grow Bunge’s North American business as domestic and export demand for both canola oil and meal continues to increase. ”
Soren Schroder, President and CEO, Bunge North America
Canada is a global agri-food powerhouse, offering global investors a wealth of opportunities in everything from grains and oilseed production and processing, to functional foods and fine niche products. The sector’s many advantages include abundant, high-quality and competitively priced agricultural raw materials, a large pool of skilled labour and ready access to global markets.
- The food and beverage processing industry is the largest manufacturing industry in Canada; it accounts for 17 percent of the total value of manufacturing shipments and two percent of national GDP. Each year, Canada exports $21 billion worth of processed food and beverage to a total of 180 countries.
- Between 2003 and 2011, nearly 100 foreign companies established greenfield projects in Canada’s food and beverage sector.
- Canadian researchers continue to make breakthroughs in developing and manufacturing healthy ingredients for natural health products and dietary supplements. These include omega-3 fatty acids from marine sources, unsaturated fatty acids from canola oil, soy protein, plant sterols and stanols from vegetable oils, as well as probiotics and fermented beverages.
- With nearly 700 producers, Canada’s natural-health products and dietary-supplements sector generates annual revenues of more than $3.5 billion. This success stems from Canada’s stringent quality and safety standards, innovative research infrastructure, abundant natural resources and an environment of collaborative teamwork between public and private partners.
Investment Promotion Agencies
Provincial IPAs :
- Alberta Economic Development
- Invest British Columbia
- Invest in Manitoba
- Invest New Brunswick
- Investing in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia Business Inc.
- Invest in Ontario
- Innovation PEI
- Invest Quebec
- Enterprise Saskatchewan
Also see Municipal IPAs
- Date Modified: