Machinery and Equipment
Canada’s skilled workforce and specialization in advanced materials, hybrid technologies, and intelligent systems, machinery and plant design continues to attract foreign investors.
“ Here we have access to a highly skilled workforce and are close to many of our major clients and partners. Establishing a plant [in Canada] is a strategic decision that we have never regretted, and which we continue to support through new investment and innovation. ”
Colin Folco, General Manager, Dieffenbacher North America
Canada’s expertise in machinery and equipment is fuelled by robust education and R&D infrastructure, ready access to major international markets and strong demand from domestic industries such as agriculture, minerals, aerospace, automotive, oil and gas, chemicals and plastics.
- With nearly 8,700 companies and a direct-production labour force of more than 113,000 people, the industry generated sales of $44.8 billion in 2011. Canada exported more than $21.5 billion worth of machinery-manufacturing equipment in 2010, more than the US on a per-capita basis.
- Canada is the first country in the G-20 to create a tariff-free zone for industrial manufacturers; tariffs on all manufacturing inputs will be eliminated by 2015.
- In 2010, Canada’s machinery and equipment manufacturing sector attracted $5.8 billion worth of international investment, 75 percent more than in 2005.
- Between 2003 and 2011, more than 50 foreign companies established greenfield operations in machinery, metals, and engines and turbines in Canada. The country is renowned as a global leader in many of these industries.
- Machinery-manufacturing revenues are forecast to increase by almost 30 percent by 2015. In 2010, the value-added of machinery manufacturing grew by 9.4 percent.
- Machinery and Equipment - Accessible version PDF (104 KB)
- Machinery and Equipment - Full version PDF (2.0 MB)
Investment Promotion Agencies
Provincial IPAs :
- Alberta Economic Development
- Invest British Columbia
- Invest in Manitoba
- Invest New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia Business Inc.
- Invest in Ontario
- Invest Quebec
Also see Municipal IPAs
- Date Modified: