Canada’s wireless firms are considered global leaders in several areas, such as mesh networks, WiMAX, RFID, UWB and SDR, as well as broadband, satellite, and fibre-optic applications.
“ Canada is one of the world’s leaders in mobile-software development. Venture capitalists have started taking note. Google is certainly taking note. ”
Chris O’Neill, Managing Director, Google Canada
Canada’s performance in wireless technologies and applications continues to draw international investors. Along with a highly educated and experienced workforce, competitive labour costs, world-class R&D and favourable tax rates and benefits, Canada also offers a savvy and fast-growing consumer market: Canadian consumers will spend some $6 billion on mobile devices in 2012 and by the end of that year, the number of smart phones in the country is expected to equal that of portable PCs.
- Among Canada’s 300 wireless firms are one-quarter of North America’s fastest growing companies in the sector. 1
- The Canadian market for telecom services is expected to generate revenues of $43.5 billion in 2012, with wireless data becoming the fastest growing segment. 2
- Canada’s wireless and telecommunications firms spend more than $6.2 billion annually on research and development.
- Between 2003 and 2011, more than 20 foreign companies established greenfield projects in Canada’s wireless-communications industry.
- Canadian firms are at the forefront of next-generation network (NGN) technologies, nanomaterials and power amplifiers: advances that will reduce the size, weight and power consumption of wireless equipment.
1 Deloitte, Technology Fast 50 Programme (2011)
2 Electronics Industry Market Research and Knowledge Network, Canadian Telecom Service 2011-2016 (2012)
Wireless Communications Investment News – provided by ShiftCentral
2012-03-15 - Wireless market in Canada opens to new carriers
2012-02-21 - Ericsson buys Ottawa's BelAir networks
2011-11-20 - Huawei to double Kanata research facility
Investment Promotion Agencies
Provincial IPAs :
- Alberta Economic Development
- Invest British Columbia
- Invest in Manitoba
- Invest New Brunswick
- Investing in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia Business Inc.
- Invest in Ontario
- Invest Quebec
- Enterprise Saskatchewan
Also see Municipal IPAs
- Date Modified: