Minister of State Kent Unveils Government Plan to Green G-8 and G-20 Summits
(No. 194 - June 18, 2010 - 3:45 p.m. ET) The Honourable Peter Kent, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas), today unveiled the Government of Canada’s plan to green the G-8 and G-20 summits.
“Canada, as always, will lead by example,” said Minister of State Kent. “With the eyes of the world watching, we will demonstrate how leading-edge technologies can reduce carbon emissions and enhance the quality of the environment.”
The government’s plan has six components:
- Zero waste: all waste generated by the main summit venues will be reused or recycled;
- Green venues: sites will feature the latest in environmentally friendly technologies;
- Green power: all energy used at the main venue sites will come from renewable sources;
- Green transportation: electric vehicles, shuttle services and other green modes of transportation will be used to move delegates, leaders and members of the media;
- Carbon offsets: carbon emissions will be neutralized through offsets; and
- Environmental legacy projects: a series of eco-initiatives, including thousands of newly planted trees and a “living wall” that will produce high-quality indoor air through lush plants at the Direct Energy Centre, will benefit Muskoka and Toronto long after the leaders and delegates have left.
“The G-8 and G-20 summits will provide Canada with an unparalleled opportunity to showcase our country’s strengths against the backdrop of the majestic beauty of the Muskoka region and the cosmopolitan dynamism of Toronto,” said Minister of State Kent. “Through our six-point plan, our government is demonstrating environmental leadership today and ensuring a legacy of a greener tomorrow.”
Canada will host the G-8 Summit on June 25 and 26 in the Muskoka region. The G-20 Summit will take place in Toronto on June 26 and 27.
- 30 -
For further information, media representatives may contact:
Senior Communications Adviser
Office of the Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas)
Muskoka 2010 G-8 Summit media inquiries: 1-877-328-9968 (Canada and the United States); 416-607-2369 (all other locations)
G-20 Toronto Summit media inquiries: 1-877-661-2353 (Canada and the United States); 416-607-2370 (all other locations)
- Date Modified: