This Web page has been archived on the Web

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

Canada Expresses Solidarity with the People of Oklahoma

May 21, 2013 - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today issued the following statement:

“On behalf of all Canadians, I extend my thoughts and prayers to those affected by yesterday’s devastation in the suburbs of Oklahoma City. We extend sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones and wish those injured a speedy recovery.

“We stand with the people of the United States during this difficult time. And while we are confident in the abilities of emergency personnel on the ground and sure of the resilience of local people, Canada remains ready to provide assistance if needed.”

Canadians wishing to donate to the relief and recovery efforts may wish to do so through the Canadian Red Cross, Salvation Army or any of the other reputable not-for-profit organizations doing important work on the ground in Oklahoma.

To date, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) has not received any reports that Canadians have been killed or injured, although officials are monitoring the situation closely and stand ready to provide consular assistance to Canadian citizens as required.

Canadian citizens in the region requiring emergency consular assistance should call the Consulate General of Canada in Dallas, Texas, at 214-922-9806 or DFAIT’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre toll-free at 1-888-949-9993. An email can also be sent to

Friends and relatives in Canada concerned about Canadian citizens believed to have been affected by the tornado should call DFAIT’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre at 613-996-8885 or toll-free within Canada at 1-800-387-3124. Alternatively, they may send an email to

DFAIT recommends that Canadian citizens travelling or living abroad register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service on the website in order to receive the latest advice from the Canadian mission responsible for the area in which they are located. They can also consult the relevant Country Travel Advice and Advisories or follow Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada on Twitter: @DFAIT_MAECI for the latest updates.

- 30 -

For further information, media representatives may contact:

Foreign Affairs Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @DFAIT_MAECI