Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Team Montréal Welcomes Qatar’s Withdrawal of Its ICAO Bid
May 24, 2013 - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird, Jean-François Lisée, Quebec’s Minister of International Relations, La Francophonie and External Trade (and Minister Responsible for the Montréal Region), and Michael Applebaum, Mayor of Montréal, are pleased to learn that the State of Qatar has withdrawn its bid to move the headquarters of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) from Montréal.
Team Montréal is a great example of representatives of different governments working toward a common goal.
“Over the last month, I have had the chance to speak with dozens of my colleagues from around the world and have been extremely heartened to receive warm endorsement of ICAO’s place in Montréal from countries in every corner of the world—from the Americas to Africa to Asia,” said Baird.
“This is excellent news for Montréal and for Quebec. My contacts with international representatives and those made by the Quebec diplomatic network showed us the depth of support Quebec and Montréal could count on for keeping the ICAO headquarters in the city,” said Minister Lisée. “This organization is located at the heart of our aerospace community, and that is why I am so pleased that our efforts have proved successful.”
“This proves what can be done when all levels of government work together. This is excellent news for Montréal and we have always been proud to be home to a world-class organization like the ICAO since it’s part of the future of our metropolis,” said the Mayor of Montreal Michael Applebaum.
Canada, Quebec and Montréal take the responsibility of hosting ICAO very seriously. In recent weeks, all three governments have listened carefully to ICAO members, and we are taking steps to offer enhanced service to the Organization. These measures will be offered in addition to the Supplementary Agreement negotiated in good faith by Canada over the last two years and endorsed by the ICAO Council on March 11, 2013.
“We now urge ICAO Secretary General Raymond Benjamin to sign that agreement and put this matter behind us so that the Organization can focus on its critical mandate of promoting the safety and security of civil aviation,” said the members of Team Montréal. “We also thank Qatar for withdrawing their bid.”
- 30 -
For further information, media representatives may contact:
Foreign Affairs Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @DFAIT_MAECI
- Date Modified: