This Web page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Canada Welcomes New President of Mali
September 20, 2013 - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird and the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and Minister for La Francophonie, today issued the following statement:
“Canada welcomes the inauguration earlier this month of Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta as the new president of Mali.
“The inauguration on September 4, 2013, is another important step in Mali’s return to democracy, and the Malian people can take pride in their commitment to democratic values. It also marks an important step toward reconciliation, strengthened democratic governance and the protection of human rights for all Malians.
“Canada will continue to stand with Mali and hopes to work closely with the new government.”
A ceremony in Bamako on September 19 to which foreign dignitaries were invited to celebrate the start of the new president’s mandate and term in office was attended by Lois Brown, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Cooperation, on behalf of the Government of Canada.
For further information, please see the following news releases:
- August 13, 2013: Canada Applauds Malian People on Conclusion of Presidential Elections
- August 2, 2013: Canada Welcomes Results of First Round of Presidential Elections in Mali
- May 15, 2013: Parliamentary Secretary Lois Brown at a High-Level Mali Donors’ Conference
- May 15, 2013: Canada Remains Committed to the Development of Mali
- January 30, 2013: Minister Fantino Participates in International Discussions on Mali and Syria
- January 29, 2013: Canada Continues Support of International Efforts in Mali
- January 29, 2013: Baird Welcomes Adoption of Road Map by Malian Assembly
- January 14, 2013: Statement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Providing Logistical Support to Mali
- 30 -
For further information, media representatives may contact:
- Date Modified: