- 2013-09-30 - Canada Wraps Up Successful Week at United Nations
- 2013-09-30 - Canada Eases Sanctions Against Libya
- 2013-09-25 - PM demonstrates continued global leadership on improving maternal, newborn and child health in developing countries
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-Hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-23 - Canada helps launch website for women’s economic empowerment
- 2013-09-23 - Canada Promotes Freedom, Dignity and Security Agenda at United Nations
- 2013-09-20 - PM announces visit to New York
This Web page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Baird Co-Hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
September 25, 2013 - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today co-hosted a signature event on child, early and forced marriage during the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Ending the practice of child, early and forced marriage is a priority for Canada.
“Child, early and forced marriage is an appalling violation of human rights,” said Baird, “because it robs girls of their right to education and jeopardizes their health.”
Child, early and forced marriage is perpetuated by poverty and gender discrimination. Globally, between 2004 and 2014, 100 million girls were forced to marry or are expected to be forced to marry before their 18th birthday.
“We have committed to intensifying our diplomacy and development work to end child, early and forced marriage in every corner of the world,” said Baird.
Canada is working with the international community on this issue at all levels—from leadership at the United Nations on a brand new resolution highlighting this issue to partnerships with national governments.
Canada has committed nearly $3 billion over five years to help women and children lead longer, healthier lives. That is in addition to the almost $14 million in support the country has provided toward ending sexual violence and encouraging the full participation of women in emerging democracies.
- 30 -
For further information, media representatives may contact:
- 2013-09-30 - Baird Addresses United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-28 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Deepak Obhrai Addresses High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Minister Yelich Supports Women’s Human Rights
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks on Role of Education in Countering Violent Extremism
- 2013-09-27 - Baird Highlights Role of Gulf Cooperation Council
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks at Forum on Women’s Economic Empowerment for Peacebuilding
- 2013-09-26 - Baird Attends Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Attends Ad Hoc Liaison Committee Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Meets with South Korean Foreign Minister
- 2013-09-30 - Address by Minister Baird to the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at the Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to IGAD International Partners Forum Meeting on Somalia
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Katherine Verrier-Frechette on Behalf of Foreign Affairs Minister Baird to the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Minister Baird on Child, Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - PM delivers remarks at a panel discussion on women's and children's health
- Date Modified: