This Web page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Baird Concerned About Further Election Delay in Maldives
October 19, 2013 - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today issued the following statement:
“Canada is deeply disappointed that the rescheduled first round of presidential elections was delayed. The elections commission was not permitted to fulfill its constitutional mandate of managing and conducting these elections without interference.
“We convey our continued support for the perseverance of the Elections Commission of Maldives under these unacceptable circumstances.
“International election observers, including from the Commonwealth, agreed that the September 7, 2013, election—the results of which were annulled—was free and fair. I repeat yet again that this series of delays flies in the face of the democratic values of the Commonwealth.
“Canada calls on all parties in Maldives to exercise restraint and remain calm in the interest of the Maldivian people, who should be permitted to express their democratic will through the ballot box. The people of Maldives deserve to have their voices heard.
“A new date for the election must be set without delay and upheld by all parties concerned. The elections commission must be permitted to organize free, fair and inclusive elections without interference.
“Canada continues its call for robust Commonwealth engagement so that the electoral process can move forward and democracy can be strengthened in Maldives. The reputation of the Commonwealth is at stake.
“We have and will continue to speak out in favour of democratic values and human rights until the will of the Maldivian people has been recognized through a free and fair vote.”
For past statements on Maldives, please see:
- October 9, 2013: Baird Disappointed with Maldives' Annulment of Election Results
- September 24, 2013: Baird Concerned by Election Delay in Maldives
- August 25, 2013: Baird Extends Condolences on the Death of Maldives Foreign Minister
- March 5, 2013: Canada Repeats Call for Rule of Law in Maldives
- September 28, 2012: Canada Deeply Troubled by Democratic Deficit in Maldives
- August 31, 2012: Canada Urges Calm and Respect for Commonwealth Values Following Maldives Report
- July 27, 2012: Canada Expresses Concern Over Tensions in Maldives
- 30 -
For further information, media representatives may contact:
- Date Modified: