- 2013-09-30 - Canada Wraps Up Successful Week at United Nations
- 2013-09-30 - Canada Eases Sanctions Against Libya
- 2013-09-25 - PM demonstrates continued global leadership on improving maternal, newborn and child health in developing countries
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-Hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-23 - Canada helps launch website for women’s economic empowerment
- 2013-09-23 - Canada Promotes Freedom, Dignity and Security Agenda at United Nations
- 2013-09-20 - PM announces visit to New York
Baird Attends Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers Meeting
September 26, 2013 - New York City - Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird attends a Commonwealth foreign affairs ministers meeting on the margins of the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly.
The meeting provided an opportunity for ministers to discuss a troubling lack of progress in Sri Lanka and the volatile situation in the Maldives. On Sri Lanka, Canada has repeatedly called for Commonwealth engagement in response to that country’s violations of the organization’s core values and principles.
“Again today, I spoke out loudly and clearly on the issue of human rights in Sri Lanka, including on our concerns on the lack of accountability for the serious allegations of war crimes, the lack of reconciliation with the Tamil community and with the events that have taken place since the end of the civil war.
“As the Prime Minister has stated very clearly, we expect our concerns to be addressed seriously by the Government of Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, given the current circumstances in Sri Lanka and the lack of substantial progress to date, it would be difficult for the Government of Canada to fully participate.
On Tuesday, the Minister issued a statement on the Maldives and called for the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group to examine the situation at its meeting tomorrow.
“The delay of the runoff election in the Maldives is extremely concerning, and I relayed to my Commonwealth partners the need for this issue to be addressed immediately.
“The democratic will of the Maldivian people must be heard, and we call on judicial authorities to not unduly delay this process.”
Tomorrow, Baird will attend a smaller group of the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, where he will express Canada’s continued concern about the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
- 2013-09-30 - Baird Addresses United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-28 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Parliamentary Secretary Deepak Obhrai Addresses Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Deepak Obhrai Addresses High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Minister Yelich Supports Women’s Human Rights
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks on Role of Education in Countering Violent Extremism
- 2013-09-27 - Baird Highlights Role of Gulf Cooperation Council
- 2013-09-27 - Minister of State Yelich Delivers Remarks at Forum on Women’s Economic Empowerment for Peacebuilding
- 2013-09-26 - Baird Attends Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Attends Ad Hoc Liaison Committee Meeting
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Co-hosts Signature Event at UN on Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - Baird Meets with South Korean Foreign Minister
- 2013-09-30 - Address by Minister Baird to the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at the Global Counterterrorism Forum
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to Conference on Facilitating Entry into Force of Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai at High-Level Meeting on Sahel
- 2013-09-27 - Address by Parliamentary Secretary Obhrai to IGAD International Partners Forum Meeting on Somalia
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Katherine Verrier-Frechette on Behalf of Foreign Affairs Minister Baird to the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee
- 2013-09-25 - Address by Minister Baird on Child, Early and Forced Marriage
- 2013-09-25 - PM delivers remarks at a panel discussion on women's and children's health
- Date Modified: