Minister Fast Appoints President and CEO of Export Development Canada
February 5, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario - Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, today announced the appointment of Benoit Daignault of Ottawa, Ontario, as president and chief executive officer of Export Development Canada (EDC). Mr. Daignault was selected after an open public competition. He will hold the position of president and CEO for five years.
Since January 2012, Mr. Daignault has served with EDC as senior vice-president, financing and investments. His responsibilities included various lending practices, such as commercial finance, corporate- and asset-based lending and project finance, and the equity investment program. He first joined EDC in 2004 as senior vice-president, business development.
Before joining EDC, Mr. Daignault spent more than 10 years with General Electric Capital Corporation, where he held increasingly senior positions in both Canada and the United States. A chartered financial analyst, he holds a bachelor of business administration degree from HEC Montréal and has completed the London Business School’s Proteus program and the Columbia Business School’s Senior Executive Program.
Mr. Daignault will take over from Pierre Gignac, who has served as acting president and CEO of EDC since June 2013. Mr. Gignac will return to his position as senior vice-president, enterprise risk management, and chief risk officer.
- EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business.
- EDC’s knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year.
- EDC is financially self-sustaining and a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
- EDC reports to Parliament through the Minister of International Trade.
“I am very pleased that Mr. Daignault has accepted to serve as president and chief executive officer of EDC. With his years of experience in both the public and private sectors, he has the skills and understanding of EDC’s important role in our economy to serve the interests of the Canadian business community.
“As our government continues to open markets and create jobs with the most ambitious pro-trade plan in Canada’s history, EDC plays a key role in helping Canadian companies—including the crucial small and medium-sized enterprise sector—succeed in today’s competitive global economy.
“I would also like to thank Pierre Gignac for his hard work. Mr. Gignac has served as acting president and CEO of EDC since June 2013.”
- Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade
- Export Development Canada
- Minister Fast Announces Appointments to Export Development Canada, June 14, 2013
- Minister Fast Announces Appointments to Export Development Canada’s Board of Directors, March 28, 2012
Office of the Honourable Ed Fast
Minister of International Trade
- Date Modified: