Largest Advanced Manufacturing Export Win in Canada’s History
Manufacturing sector workers and firms to benefit from creation of thousands of jobs across southern Ontario and every region of Canada
February 14, 2014 - London, Ontario - Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, and Danny Deep, Vice President, General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada, announced today a historic multi-billion dollar contract win for vehicles and associated equipment, training and support services.
The announcement was made in London, Ontario, where the light armoured vehicles will be designed and manufactured and which will become the epicentre of a cross-Canada supply chain directly benefiting more than 500 local Canadian firms.
This 14-year contract will create and sustain more than 3,000 jobs each year in Canada, with southern Ontario accounting for approximately 40 percent of the supply base.
Facilitated by the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC), the Government of Canada’s international government-to-government contracting organization, the contract is with Saudi Arabia, a priority market under the government’s new Global Markets Action Plan.
- Minister Fast led trade missions to Saudi Arabia in 2012 and 2013.
- In 2013, Canadian merchandise exports to Saudi Arabia totalled $900 million.
- In 2012, the advanced manufacturing sector contributed an estimated $164.6 billion in GDP and supported 1.7 million jobs across the country.
- Canada’s manufacturing sector spent $7.3 billion on R & D in 2013, which accounted for 47 percent of total business R & D expenditures in Canada.
- In 2012-13, CCC was active in 72 countries with more than 210 Canadian companies and signed approximately $1 billion in contracts.
“Our government is focused on creating good jobs and opportunities for Canadian workers and their families. This landmark contract win will create thousands of advanced manufacturing jobs and new sources of prosperity throughout southern Ontario and every region of Canada. Our government will continue to support our exporters and manufacturers to create jobs, as part of our government’s most ambitious pro-trade, pro-export plan in Canadian history.”
- Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade
“This latest contract confirms our position as a leading armoured vehicle designer and manufacturer in the world and a Key Industrial Capability in Canada. This is a testament to the skills and quality of work that exist in Canada today. In addition, we are grateful for all of the assistance provided by the Government of Canada. The whole-of-government approach to export sales gives us a strategic advantage as we pursue international markets.”
- Danny Deep, Vice President, General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada
“This is an Olympic win for Canada and for Canadian manufacturers. It shows how great people in truly innovative companies like GDLS can compete internationally and bring home the gold. Like all victories, it's been the result of a team effort in which the Government has played a crucial role. All Canadians should be proud of this record achievement.”
- Jayson Myers, President and CEO, Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters
Office of the Honourable Ed Fast
Minister of International Trade
- Date Modified: