Minister Fast Wraps Up OECD and WTO Meetings
Canada continues to be one of the best places to live, according to the OECD Better Life Index
May 7, 2014 - Paris, France - Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, today concluded his visit to Paris, where he advocated freer and more open trade and investment at the OECD and WTO ministerial meetings.
He also addressed his colleagues and discussed Canada’s continued support for Ukraine while its sovereignty and territorial integrity remain threatened.
Minister Fast welcomed the OECD’s new Services Trade Restrictiveness Index (STRI), which will help governments and businesses measure barriers that hinder services trade between countries. The STRI shows that Canada is well-positioned as a leader of open and efficient services markets.
In addition, Minister Fast, alongside his OECD counterparts, launched the OECD’s Southeast Asia Regional Programme, which will bring the OECD’s relationship with partners in Southeast Asia to a more strategic level, thereby contributing to Southeast Asia’s reform processes and regional-integration initiatives.
Photo: Minister Fast delivers remarks at OECD.
- Canada’s bilateral trade with OECD countries reached $780.6 billion in 2013—an all-time high and up 4 percent over 2012—representing 82 percent of our total trade. OECD countries account for approximately 50 percent of the global economy.
- The STRI identifies 40 to 50 measures per sector that restrict the ability of exporters to access foreign services markets.
- For the fourth year in a row, Canada has been named one of the best places to live, according to the OECD Better Life Index.
- For the 2014 Better Life Index survey, 80 percent of Canadian participants declared they were “very satisfied” with their lives.
“Trade and investment represent the twin engines of growth to create jobs and opportunities for hard-working Canadians through freer and more open trade. Our bold trade policy and vigorous trade promotion help Canada stay ahead of the curve in fiercely competitive global markets.”- Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade
- Expanding Services Trade Offers Major Opportunities for Growth and Jobs, OECD Says
- OECD Better Life Index
- Minister Fast Visits Europe to Highlight Accomplishments of Canada’s Pro-trade Plan
Office of the Honourable Ed Fast
Minister of International Trade
- Date Modified: