Canada Strengthening Local Governance in Developing Countries
Harnessing Canadian expertise and innovation for stronger communities around the world
May 31, 2014 – Niagara Falls, Ontario - Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Delivering remarks at the Policy Forum on International Relations at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ (FCM) Annual Conference and Trade Show, Lois Brown, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Development, emphasized Canada’s commitment to strengthening local governance and economies to help reduce global poverty and improve the lives of citizens worldwide.
“We are proud to work with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, combining our efforts with a wide range of partners, including civil society and the private sector, to advance international development priorities,” said Parliamentary Secretary Lois Brown. “Together we are helping municipalities around the world strengthen their governance and promote local economic development.”
“The Federation of Canadian Municipalities believes that local governments working together across borders are effective agents of meaningful change,” said FCM President Claude Dauphin. “Through its continued support and contribution to FCM’s international programs, the Government of Canada demonstrates that it shares in this belief. Together with our members, Canadian municipal experts and overseas partners, FCM will continue to help build inclusive and resilient communities.”
- FCM has been the national voice of municipal government since 1901. It is a non-profit organization representing the interests of municipalities on policy and program matters that fall within federal jurisdiction. Its network of 2,000 members includes Canada’s largest cities, small urban and rural communities, and 21 provincial and territorial municipal associations.
- The Government of Canada and FCM have been working together for more than 25 years to strengthen the capacity of hundreds of local governments to build safe and thriving communities and deliver essential services to citizens in more than 55 developing countries.
- Since 2001, Canada has provided over $103 million to FCM for international programs that are fostering and supporting economic growth in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Latin America, as well as in Ukraine.
- FCM’s 2014 Annual Conference and Trade Show continues until June 2. It is the largest gathering of senior municipal officials from across Canada. Close to 1,600 delegates are participating this year.
- Project profile: Municipal Local Economic Development
- Project profile: Municipal Partners for Economic Development
- Project profile: Caribbean Local Economic Development
- Project profile: Haiti-Canada Municipal Cooperation Program – Phase 2
- 2014 Annual Conference and Trade Show – Federation of Canadian Municipalities)
Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_Dev
Like us on Facebook: Canada is Dedicated to International Development - DFATD
- Date Modified: