Minister Paradis announces support for those affected by Typhoon Rammasun
Canada’s immediate response will ensure life-saving emergency relief is provided quickly
July 21, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Today, the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, announced up to $250,000 in humanitarian assistance to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Rammasun.
“It is absolutely devastating for the people of the Philippines to be hit once again with such a destructive typhoon,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada’s immediate response will help ensure emergency relief is provided as soon as possible to the people and families affected.”
Typhoon Rammasun (locally known as Glenda) hit the east coast of the Philippines on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. The full impact of the storm is still being determined. To date there have been 94 fatalities reported, 6 missing, numerous injuries as well as the destruction of crops and thousands of homes ($180M CDN in damages). Three provinces have declared a state of calamity. More than 500,000 people have sought refuge in evacuation centres.
Typhoon Rammasun, which hit only eight months after Typhoon Haiyan (locally known as Yolanda), brought heavy rainfall into Tacloban, causing tents to flood and collapse and leading to the relocation of 2,000 families.
Canada is closely monitoring the situation in the Philippines as needs assessments are ongoing, and is prepared to respond further as needed.
- Typhoon Rammasun is the seventh weather disturbance to affect the Philippines in 2014, and the first to make landfall. On average, the country is hit by at least 20 typhoons each year.
- In response to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines last year, the Government of Canada made a rapid, life-saving whole-of-government response which included humanitarian assistance as well as the deployment of Canada’s Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART).
- In 2014, Canada added the Philippines to the list of development countries of focus for the Government of Canada’s international development efforts.
- The Philippines – A country of focus for the Government of Canada
- Canada’s response to Typhoon Haiyan
Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_DEV
Like us on Facebook: Canada is Dedicated to International Development - DFATD
- Date Modified: