Canada Supports the International Committee of the Red Cross’s Work in the Asia-Pacific Region
Canada commits to providing humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable in the Asia-Pacific region
August 13, 2014 – Vancouver, British Columbia – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Today, Lois Brown, Parliamentary Secretary to the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, announced with Wai Young, Member of Parliament for Vancouver South, that Canada will continue to support the work of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in the Asia-Pacific region.
The funding announced today is helping to provide emergency relief such as water, sanitation, hygiene, health care and shelter; and is supporting the resumption of livelihoods, in order to improve health, living conditions and protection for crisis-affected people in the Asia-Pacific region. With this funding, the ICRC is also supporting activities aimed at promoting respect for international humanitarian law.
“There are millions of vulnerable people in the Asia-Pacific region,” said PS Brown. “I am pleased to announce Canada's support to the ICRC’s important work in the region, which helps ensure that humanitarian assistance, including the provision of clean water, medical supplies and essential household items, is delivered in a timely manner to those in need.”
"The contribution announcement made today to the International Committee of the Red Cross further solidifies our government's commitment to help those most in need when natural disasters strike," said MP Young.
“Through our support to the ICRC’s neutral, independent and impartial work, Canada will continue to provide help to the millions of people who are impacted by humanitarian crises in the Asia-Pacific region,” added Minister Paradis. “We make this commitment for many reasons, chief among them because it is an expression of the values Canadians believe in—to assist those who are without the means to overcome the challenges they face.”
- The International Committee of the Red Cross is an important partner for Canada in responding to situations of conflict and disaster. It is often the first organization in and the last out of a humanitarian crisis, giving it the ability to maintain unparalleled access to populations in need.
- Backgrounder – Canada is Providing Support to the ICRC in the Asia-Pacific Region
- Speech – Address by Ms. Lois Brown, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Development: Announcement of assistance to the International Committee of the Red Cross for emergency response in Asia and Pacific region
- The International Committee of the Red Cross
- DFATD Asia-Pacific page
- Canada Enhances Focus in Global Fight Against Poverty
Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_DEV
Like us on Facebook: Canada is Dedicated to International Development - DFATD
- Date Modified: