Requirements Regarding the Submission of Photographs for New Appointments and Extensions (Renewals) of Acceptances
Circular Note No. XDC-2258 of October 24, 2006
The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (Office of Protocol) presents its compliments to the Heads of Diplomatic Missions and notified Chargés d’Affaires, a.i. accredited to Canada, as well as to Heads of International Organizations and other Offices established in Canada and has the honour to inform them of the new requirements regarding the submission of photographs for new appointments and extensions (renewals) of acceptances. The foregoing supersedes the Department’s circular note XDC-3155, of January 3, 2006.
The Department wishes to advise Missions, International Organizations and other Offices, that effective immediately, photographs submitted for accreditation and extension of accreditation must be passport photographs (colour or black and white), of high quality and taken by a professional photographer.
- Two photographs must be submitted for each new arrival and one photograph for extensions (renewals).
- Photos must show a full front view of the face with both edges of the face showing clearly. The face and shoulders must be centred in the photo and squared to the camera.
- Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head. Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable.
- Photos must be taken against a plain, uniform, white or light coloured background.
- Photos taken in a photo booth are unacceptable.
- The name of the photographer or studio, the address and the date the photo was taken must be provided on the back of one photo.
- Eyeglasses may be worn as long as the eyes are clearly visible. Sunglasses are unacceptable.
The Department also wishes to remind Missions, Organizations and other Offices that new and recently taken photographs (taken within the last year) must be submitted upon requesting an extension (renewal) of an acceptance.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (Office of Protocol) avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the Heads of Diplomatic Missions and notified Chargés d’Affaires, a.i. accredited to Canada, as well as to Heads of International Organizations and other Offices established in Canada the assurances of its highest consideration.
OTTAWA, October 24, 2006
Last revised: April 29, 2010
- Date Modified: