The Religious Freedom Fund
The objectives of the Religious Freedom Fund are:
- to compel action internationally against violations of religious freedom by contributing to greater awareness of threats to religious freedom and by promoting pluralism;
- to strengthen the Government of Canada’s response to specific violations of religious freedom; and
- to promote education on the issues of tolerance and freedom of religion.
To be eligible for funding, activities must support the promotion of freedom of religion or belief. These activities include:
assisting groups in critical situations or human rights defenders working on behalf of persecuted groups to cover legal or specialized services;
supporting conferences and seminars to promote interreligious dialogue;
developing materials in support of engaging governments on religious tolerance; and
supporting awareness initiatives with multilateral organizations to help mainstream issues of tolerance and education on freedom of religion or belief.
Financial grants and contributions are available for projects administered by:
- non-governmental, community, religious, academic and not-for-profit organizations based in foreign countries;
- international, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional organizations; and
- Canadian non-governmental, community, religious, academic and not-for-profit organizations operating abroad.
Ultimate beneficiaries are religious minorities and/or affiliated groups in those countries and regions where rights to freedom of religion or belief are being threatened.
Further information about applying for support from the Religious Freedom Fund will soon be available.
- Date Modified: