On March 7, 2001, acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1343 imposing sanctions against Liberia in response to former President Taylor's support for the Revolutionary United Front in Sierra Leone. Additional sanctions were imposed by the adoption of Resolution 1478 (2003) on May 6, 2003. To reflect changing circumstances in Liberia, the sanctions regime was subsequently replaced and revised by the adoption of a number of resolutions, including resolutions 1521 (2003) and 1532 (2004).
The Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Liberia, as amended, implement the decisions of the Security Council in Canadian domestic law. Implementation of the travel ban imposed by Resolution 1521 (2003) is ensured in Canada under existing provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Subject to certain exceptions, the measures imposed against Liberia include:
- a prohibition on the export of arms and related material to any person in Liberia;
- a prohibition on the provision, to any person in Liberia, of any technical assistance related to the provision, manufacture, maintenance or use of arms and related material;
- an assets freeze against persons designated by the UN sanctions committee established to oversee the sanctions measures (the 1521 Committee); and
- a travel ban against persons designated by the 1521 Committee.
Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Liberia:
- Justice Canada consolidation of the Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on Liberia
- Regulations Amending the United Nations Liberia Regulations and the Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolution on Lebanon (SOR/2009-23): entered into force on January 29, 2009
- Regulations Amending the United Nations Liberia Regulations (SOR/2004-153): entered into force on June 17, 2004 (see page 4 of the linked document)
- Regulations Amending the United Nations Liberia Regulations (SOR/2003-262): entered into force on July 14, 2003 (see page 2 of the linked document)
- United Nations Liberia Regulations (SOR/2001-261): entered into force on July 12, 2001 (see page 58 of the linked document)
- United Nations Security Council 1521 Committee
(information concerning the work of the Committee, including related UN Security Council resolutions, an assets freeze list and a travel ban list)
- DFATD Trade Controls & Technical Barriers Bureau
- DFATD Canada-Liberia Relations
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions relating to this page, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Modified: