In-person authentication service
Authenticating a document is free. It proves that the signature, the position of an official and the seal on a certified document are genuine. Other jurisdictions or countries will recognize your authenticated document as a valid copy.
Authentication is also called legalization or apostille.
Complete list of documents that can be authenticated
Global Affairs Canada
JLAC- Authentication Services Section
1st floor (Look for the signs: “JLAC- Authentication Services Section”)
111 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 1J1
- No appointment necessary
- Underground public parking is available for a fee
Hours of operation
- Monday to Thursday from 10 a.m. until noon, and between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- The office is closed Fridays, weekends, civic and statutory holidays
If the signature on the documents cannot be verified immediately, you will be advised to return to pick up your documents.
We can process up to 15 documents while you wait. If you have more than 15 documents, you must leave them with us and we will contact you when they are ready to be picked up. This could take up to five business days, depending on how many documents you need authenticated.
- 16-30 documents will take 24 hours to process. Please note that documents dropped off at 10 a.m. can be ready for pick up at 3 p.m. that same day.
- 31-50 documents will take 48 business hours to process
- 51-100 documents will take 72 business hours to process
- 101+ will take up to 5 business days
We will not process your documents faster for any reason. There are no exceptions.
For additional information, please contact our general enquiries center at 613-944-4000 or 1-800-267-8376.
- Your document can be declined authentication
- If you are outside Canada
- Urgent requests
- Check the status of your request
- Date Modified: