Position title: Accountant
Appointment Process Nº: 2020-Management-01
Term Type: Indeterminate, Term and Emergency
Term Details: This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Afghanistan
Department: Embassy of Canada in Afghanistan
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Category: Administration
Annual starting salary: USD 37,042
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Close date: 29 March 2020
Summary of Duties
Under the supervision of the Financial Officer, provides accounting and financial services to the mission; reviews the mission budget, compiles financial information for the preparation of business cases for submission to Headquarters and presentations to the Committee on Mission Management (CMM) on the allocation/reallocation of funds to mission programs; supervises the maintenance of financial records and reports in IMS; receives and supervises the deposit and recording of all public funds; supervises the Financial Assistant or Assistant Accountant; and performs other duties.
Area of selection/Eligibility
This vacancy is open to all external applicants residing in Kabul and to all mission employees occupying an indeterminate or term position, including emergency employees.
Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Afghanistan does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of gender, ethnic origin, religious belief, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture.
Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Intent of the process
The immediate need is to fill one position on an indeterminate basis. A pool of qualified candidates will be established and may be used for future indeterminate, term or emergency appointments.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language and experience. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications (education, language and experience).
Requirements relating to knowledge, ability and competencies will be assessed for candidates who make it through the initial screening. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, practical tests, and/or presentations.
- University Degree in business administration or equivalent or have completed at least six papers in ACCA.
- Excellent knowledge of English (reading, writing, speaking)
- Excellent knowledge of Dari and Pashto (reading, writing, speaking)
- Data entry experience
- Client service experience
- Experience working in an office and following standard office procedures
- Experience in working with a range of computer applications, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and in preparing spreadsheets and reports.
- Minimum three (3) years recent experience working in an international environment such as an embassy or NGO. Recent is defined as 3 years full-time out of the past five years.
- Administrative and office procedures
- Financial principles and procedures
- Communicate effectively
- Enter high volume of data accurately into a computer database
- Attention to details
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Client service focus
- Be able to work during the regular business hours of the mission
- Ability to work overtime, periodic evenings and weekends during high work load periods, special events and emergencies
- Ability and willingness to travel in the country and/or region
Conditions of Employment
- Candidates must have a valid work authorization for Afghanistan covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in Kabul so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a reliability rating (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period
How to apply
- Candidates are to send their cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote « Competition No. 2020-Management-01 » in the subject line of the email, and on your application.
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Only candidates that pass the initial screening will be contacted by the HR section.
- Reference checks will be conducted for the successful candidate before an offer of employment is extended.
- The Embassy of Canada in Afghanistan does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Afghanistan, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Date Modified: