Language selection


Paris 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games

Find information and advice if you're planning to attend the:

Emergency help

Contact information to request consular assistance

On this page

Travelling to France

Check our full Travel Advice and Advisories for France before leaving and while you’re there for up-to-date information and advice.

Passport requirements

Check your passport expiry date. To enter France, Canadians must present a passport that is valid for at least 3 months past the date of expected departure from Europe’s Schengen Area, which includes France.

If your passport does not meet this validity requirement, follow these instructions to renew it.

Protect your important documents

Travelling to or from neighbouring countries

If you plan to travel to or from other countries before or after you travel to France, you should check our Travel Advice and Advisories to learn about entry and exit requirements, safety and security conditions, local laws and cultures and any health risks:

Schengen Area

France is a Schengen Area country. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area. However, visa-free travel only applies to stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen Area country.

Check the European Commission short-stay visa calculator to see whether you need a visa.

Learn more about travelling to the Schengen area.

Advice for travelling by train and public transportation

Incidents of petty crime are frequent on trains along the Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam and Brussels-London routes.

While travelling by train or public transportation:

Canadian-European dual citizens

Canadian-European dual citizens, like all other Canadians, must travel from and return to Canada using valid Canadian passports.

Under French Law, Canadian-French dual citizens may be required to produce their French passports for entry into France.

Learn more about dual citizenship.

Learn more about entering France as a foreigner.


If you plan to stay in Paris during the 2024 Games, we strongly recommend that you book your accommodations as soon as possible.

Canada’s Embassy to France cannot help you find accommodations.


Many of the competition venues for the 2024 Games are in the centre of Paris and other host cities. This will impact traffic, parking, public transit and access to various parts of the city. Plan extra time to get around.

More information about public transportation, including possible delays and safety perimeters around sites:

Learn more about road travel in France.

Tickets to Games events

Tickets for Olympic and Paralympic Games events are available at the Official ticketing website of the Paris 2024 Games. The Embassy of Canada cannot help you find tickets.

Staying connected

Register your trip

We encourage you to sign up with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service. This service is free and allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home.

You can also receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

If you need help

Consular services at the Embassy of Canada to France, in Paris, will remain available throughout the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Lost or stolen passport

If your passport or travel document is lost or stolen, contact the Embassy of Canada in Paris as soon as possible:

You may need to come to the embassy in person for a temporary passport.

Keep in mind that the processing time for a temporary passport ranges from 2 to 19 business days and depends on the complexity of your application.

Learn more about passport services available from the Embassy of Canada to France.

Learn more about lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged and found passports.

Emergency consular assistance

If you need emergency consular assistance in France, contact the embassy or nearest Canadian consulate in France or our 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre, in Ottawa.

If you are in a neighbouring country, contact the nearest Canadian consular office serving that country.

Related links

Date Modified: