Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Guatemala City, Guatemala

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Guatemala, in Guatemala City.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

For local adoptions, contact the Consejo Nacional de Adopciones.

Canada does not recognize adoptions from Guatemala.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

If your child is born outside of Canada, you do not need to register the birth in Canada.

Citizenship services

Refer to Canadian citizenship.

There are 3 different approaches to being eligible to obtaining citizen status:

  1. Citizenship by birth: obtained when being born within Canadian territory
  2. Citizenship by naturalisation: obtained when a permanent resident has applied for the citizen status in Canada
  3. Citizenship by derivation: obtained when, at least, 1 of the parents is a Canadian and has inherited citizen status onto his/her children

A Canadian citizen's child born abroad may be eligible to become a citizen, only if the parent became a citizen by birth or by naturalisation. If the parent is a citizen by derivation, his/her children will not inherit the citizen status. In this case, a visa will need to be produced in order for the child to travel to Canada.

Complete your citizenship application before booking an appointment by email at to present your documents in person. Bring your online payment receipt to your appointment.

Pay your application fees online before you apply for citizenship services.

In addition to the items listed in the application package, please include:

  • The Guatemalan birth certificate of applicant (child or adult)
    • Only birth certificates issued directly by the El Registro Nacional de las Personas (RENAP) offices can be accepted.
  • Translation of Guatemalan birth certificate
    • Must be produced by a locally registered sworn translator in either of the official languages of Canada: English or French.

Processing time

Check processing times. Failure to complete all required paperwork may result in delays or refusal of the application.

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Payment can also be done at mission via international credit/debit visa or mastercard.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00
Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship 100.00
Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship 75.00
Application for a Search of Citizenship Records 75.00

Notarial services

Consular officials do not provide any legal advice or represent a person in court. The office provides the following notarial services, by appointment only, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada.

Note: Documents must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official translation in English or French.

Authentication/Attestation (certify the document signature, the position of an official and the seal are genuine):

Certified copy (certify the document is a true copy of the original):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a certified true copy (fees apply).

Witness a signature (consular officer witnesses a signature):

  • Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).
  • Government-issued identification requiring a witnessed signature (fees apply).

Note: Complete all documents before booking an appointment. Sign all documents in front of the consular officer.

Payment method

Upfront payment is required in credit/debit card.

Only international Visa or Mastercard credit/debit cards accepted.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating signatures of Canadian authorities or notaries. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Uniting documents and sealing their fastening. The fee shown is per document. 30.00
Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document. 30.00
Transfer of private or public funds from Canada or elsewhere to the mission. The fee shown is per transfer. 75.00
Obtaining a copy of a document in the registers or records of the local authorities. The fee shown is per document. 125.00
Declaration of translator (preparing document, signature, uniting documents and sealing their fastening). The fee shown is per legal package. 110.00
Providing a Passport Canada CTC. The fee shown is per set of three copies. 45.00

Passport services

Refer to Canadian passports and travel documents.

You can pay online for all your passport services before completing your passport application.

Book an appointment to present your documents in person. Bring your online payment receipt to your appointment.

Write to for additional information regarding passport services.

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Temporary Passport - linked to a regular passport application 110.00
Pick up fee 20.00
Emergency Travel Document - Adult - ETD - one trip 75.00
Emergency Travel Document for Children - ETD - one trip 30.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad and Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

Not recognized in Guatemala.

Visa and immigration services

The Embassy of Canada to Guatemala does not provide information about immigration or visas to Canada.

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: