Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Chandigarh, India

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Consulate General of Canada to India, in Chandigarh.

The Consulates General of Canada in Bengaluru, Chandigarh and Mumbai are temporarily suspending in-person operations. You can obtain consular assistance and further consular information from the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

Consular services in person remain available at the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

For emergency consular assistance, call the High Commission of Canada in India, in New Delhi and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

To adopt a child in India, you must meet the adoption requirements of the province or territory where you live as well as the adoption requirements in India. Canadians should contact the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) for more information on the local process. Canadian citizens habitually residing in Canada should also contact an accredited agency in the province or territory where they reside for advice and information on how to adopt abroad.

Canadian citizens who are residents abroad are frequently asked by foreign adoption authorities to provide a letter from a Canadian authority approving the adoption and indicating that the child will be permitted entry to Canada. This letter is often referred to as a “Letter of no objection or involvement” for non-resident Canadians. To obtain this letter please contact the Consular Section at

Some adoptive parents are eligible to apply for citizenship for their adopted child, while others must first sponsor the child for permanent residence. For more information, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Adopt a child from abroad page.


India has banned foreign commercial surrogacy.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

The birth of any child must be registered with the local municipality authority or the district offices of the Registration of Births and Deaths in India. As a general rule, births are registered automatically by hospital staff; however, you should confirm whether this has been done. The birth certificate can usually be collected from the municipal corporation office 15 days following the registration process.

Citizenship services

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who wish to marry in India should contact the office of the Registrar of Marriages of their place of residence to obtain further information. Registration of marriages in India is done either under the Hindu Marriage Act (1955) or under the Special Marriage Act (1954). The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable to Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs only. The Special Marriage Act is applicable to all persons irrespective of religion. Under this Act, conversion of religion is not required.

The Registrar of Marriages asks for a letter from the High Commission or Consulate stating that the Canadian citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident who wishes to have his/her marriage registered is free to marry. Canadian law does not require nor provide for the issuance of any certificate or other document as proof of the eligibility of a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident to marry. As we are not in a position to issue such a document, the Consular Section issues a certificate called the “Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage” which is usually accepted by local authorities. Please book an appointment with the Consular Section to obtain this certificate. The fee is CAD 30.00.

Pensions and retirement

Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad and Retiring abroad.

Same-sex marriage abroad

India does not recognize same-sex marriages.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: