Language selection


Government of Canada services and information in Rome, Italy

Contact us

Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Italy, in Rome.

On this page

Adoption and surrogacy

Refer to International adoption.

Birth abroad

Refer to Children born outside of Canada.

Birth on Italian territory

The birth of every child in Italy, legitimate or natural, must be registered. Registration must occur within 3 days following the birth if done at a hospital or medical clinic, or within 10 days if done at the Municipio (city hall). More information can be found on the Ministry of Justice website (registration information only in Italian).

The birth is normally registered at the hospital or clinic by the staff. However, the birth can be registered at the Municipio by:

  • one of the parents, or
  • any person delegated by one of the parents
  • anyone who was present during the birth

You can obtain the birth certificate extract at the city hall in the city or town where the birth was registered. You must specify the date of birth, name of the child, and the names of the father and mother at the time the child was born.

For further information please consult the section "Eventi della Vita - Avere un Figlio" at Il Portale Nazionale del Cittadino (only in Italian)

Canadian birth certificates

There is no central registry of births in Canada. Canadian birth certificates must be obtained from the vital statistics office of the province in which the event occurred. They cannot be obtained through the Canadian Embassy. Requests should be sent directly to the appropriate provincial vital statistics office. The fee for issuing birth certificates will vary from province to province.

You cannot obtain a Canadian birth certificate for a Canadian child born outside of Canada. You must apply instead for a Canadian citizenship certificate.

Citizenship services

Complete your citizenship application. Citizenship applications from Italy, Albania, Malta and San Marino must only be submitted by mail to the Embassy of Canada in Rome (registered mail or courier).

It may be possible for some applicants to apply online. The Embassy of Canada does not receive applications submitted on-line and cannot provide further information.

Pay your application fees online before you apply for citizenship services. Include a copy of the receipt with your application. Citizenship fees are only payable online by credit card ($CAD).

Payment method

Pay your application fees online.

Details Fee (CAD)
Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship) 75.00

Death abroad

Registration of death is obligatory and must be done within 24 hours at the Ufficio di Stato Civile (Vital Statistics office) in the city or town where the death occurred. Registration must be done by:

  • the hospital or institution, if the death took place there
  • a relative of the deceased or someone appointed by a relative (e.g. funeral home), if the death took place at home

In the case of a violent death (e.g. accident, suicide), the magistrate or the criminal police officer, assisted by a coroner, must file a report specifying the condition of the body, the related circumstances surrounding the death and the deceased's personal information (name, place and date of birth, profession and residence). The magistrate or the police officer will provide the information contained in the report to the Ufficio di Stato Civile where the person died, in order to file a death certificate. The body can be buried 24 hours after the death.

An autopsy is usually performed, unless the death occurs in a hospital.

Death certificate

You will need to apply for a Death Certificate from the Ufficio di Stato Civile in the municipality (comune) where the death occurred. It is advisable to request 10-15 certified copies, as they will be required in Canada for managing the deceased person's estate, paying any taxes and debts, closing bank accounts, etc.

There is no central registry of deaths in Canada. Canadian death certificates must be obtained from the vital statistics office of the province in which the event occurred. They cannot be obtained through the Canadian Embassy. Requests should be sent directly to the appropriate provincial vital statistics office. The fee for issuing death certificates will vary from province to province.

Repatriation of remains or cremated ashes

The Canadian Embassy's Consular Services provides support and assistance in cases of death.

If the remains or cremated ashes are to be shipped abroad, by Italian law a Nulla Osta or Certificate of No Impediment is required. The Nulla Osta must be issued by the embassy of the country where the remains or ashes will be shipped. The Canadian Embassy can issue a Nulla Osta upon request and presentation of the appropriate documentation. The funeral home can request the Nulla Osta on behalf of the family.

Marriage abroad

Refer to Marriage outside Canada.

Canadians marrying in Italy

In order to marry in Italy as a Canadian citizen, you need a Marriage Nulla Osta (Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad). If you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian citizens, each of you will need one.

Dual nationals (Canadian & Italian) must marry as Italian nationals and should contact the marriage office of the Comune (municipality) in Italy or an Italian Diplomatic Mission in Canada for marriage instructions.

The Marriage Nulla Osta can only be issued by the Embassy of Canada in Rome, Italy. The document is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance and is written in the Italian language.

Requests for the Marriage Nulla Osta can be made by mail or in person (by appointment only).

The delivery service standards are normally 5 business days from the time the Embassy receives a complete application.

To obtain a Marriage Nulla Osta you'll need:

Swear the marriage affidavit:

  • in front of a notary public, if you are in Canada
  • at the Embassy of Canada in Rome (by appointment)
  • at any Embassy or Consulate of Canada, if you are abroad

Supporting documents/information

Supporting documents may be submitted in original format or certified true copy. A certified true copy is a photocopy of an original document, produced and certified by a person authorized to do so.

Additional supporting documents for Italy:

  • Certificate/Card of Canadian Citizenship (back and front); if you were born outside of Canada
  • fiancé(e)'s valid passport or ID card
  • completed credit card authorization form
  • mailing or pick up instructions (the Marriage Nulla Osta is sent by registered mail to a foreign or Italian address at no additional cost; courier deliveries have to be organized and paid for by the applicant)

Note: Marriage search records/letters are required for all applicants.

Consular processing fees

A $50 fee applies for each issuance of a Marriage Nulla Osta. If you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian citizens, each of you require one.

A $50 fee also applies if you swear the marriage affidavit at the Embassy or Consulate; if you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian citizens, each of you will swear a marriage affidavit and each pay the fee.

Fees are payable by credit card authorization only.

Mail or courier the application to the Embassy of Canada to Italy, in Rome.

After obtaining the Marriage Nulla Osta

  1. Submit the MarriageNulla Ostato the competent Prefettura Legalization Office. (legalization is required to render the Marriage Nulla Osta valid for use in Italy)
  2. After legalized, present it to the marriage office of the Comune where you plan to marry in Italy. Banns are waived if neither party is an Italian citizen nor residing in Italy. The Comuneauthorities will ask you to return in a few days to sign a declaration in front of the Ufficiale dello Stato Civile (Registrar of Vital Statistics Office). This declaration is reserved for foreign nationals who do not reside in Italy. If you are not familiar with the Italian language you will need an interpreter.
  3. Once the arrangements are finalized, the civil marriage ceremony will be formally authorized to take place. Two witnesses plus an interpreter (if necessary) must be present at the civil marriage ceremony.

The waiting period may vary depending on the season of the year and on the number of requests received by the Comune. Some municipalities levy marriage fees for non-residents.

Note: A woman cannot remarry in Italy if her previous marriage ended within the last 300 days unless she obtains a waiver from the competent Italian Tribunale (court).

The Embassy of Canada in Rome does not assist with marriage arrangements. If you are unable to make the necessary arrangements with the Comune , you can contact a wedding agency.

Religious ceremonies


To marry in a Roman-Catholic Church, and have the marriage recognized by the Italian civil authorities, present the legalized Marriage Nulla Osta to the Comune in Italy. After signing the declaration, the Ufficiale dello Stato Civile will issue a power of attorney to the parish priest for the celebration of the civil wedding. After the marriage is performed, the parish priest will arrange for the registration of the religious marriage with the competent Italian vital statistics authorities.

Non Roman-Catholic

To our knowledge, marriages performed at non-Roman Catholic houses of worship require a civil ceremony as well. Contact the religious leader as early as possible for instruction.

What to do after the marriage & validity in Canada

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and not need to be registered in Canada. However, some provinces/territories do register marriages performed outside of Canada. Contact the Vital Statistic Office of your normal place of residency.

Note: Before leaving Italy, you, or your designated person, should get several copies of the marriage certificate. If available, request the multilingual format as the information is written in different languages, including English and French.

The procedures and types of marriage certificates issued may vary from one Comune to another one.

If you plan to use the marriage certificate in Canada, the signature on the marriage certificate must undergo legalization and authentication.

  1. Submit the marriage certificate(s) to the competent Prefettura Legalization Office.
  2. Once legalized, mail/courier the marriage certificate(s) to the Embassy of Canada in Rome requesting authentication services.

Notarial services

The Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Italy provides certain notarial services by post or by appointment, to Canadian citizens and, in limited cases, to non-Canadian citizens if the documents are intended for use in Canada. Instructions below will provide information about the notarial services available at the Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Italy. Please note: some services are only available through the provincial vital statistics office in Canada or through the Authentication section of Global Affairs Canada.

New: Apostille (replaces authentication or legalization services)

From January 11, 2024, the Apostille Convention came into force in Canada. The new Apostille process now replaces authentication or legalization services previously available from the Embassy of Canada in Rome.

The Apostille facilitates the use of a Canadian document abroad, such as civil documents (marriage or birth), certificates (divorce or name change) and documents issued by the Government of Canada (such as Criminal record checks issued by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police).

From January 11, 2024, if you reside in Italy and you require the authentication or legalization of a document issued in Canada, you must apply for the Apostille service directly from Canada. The apostille service is not available through the Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Rome. Please consult Changes to authentication services in Canada to obtain information on how to apply and obtain an Apostille.

Certified copies:

The Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Rome can produce certified true copies of certain Canadian document.

You can obtain this service by post or by appointment. In all cases, your application must include the following:

  • Original documents for which you need certified true copies
  • A copy of a valid official ID of the applicant
  • A payment of 20$CAD per copy. Complete and include the Credit Card Authorization form in your application.
  • A short letter to explain your request and including your instructions for the return of the document: provide the name and address of the person who will receive the documents in Italy.

Please note: if you are requesting this service to complete your pension application in Canada, the service is free. Please include a document to demonstrate that you are applying for Certified true copies to complete your pension application in Canada if you are in this situation.

Witness a signature, affidavit, sworn statement only by appointment

Documents presented by a Canadian citizen or a non-Canadian citizen for use in Canada; exceptions apply (fees apply).

Note: You need to gather all the necessary papers before presenting yourself at your appointment, but the date and your signature must be completed in front of the officer. Note that if witnesses must sign your document, both you and the witnesses must be present at the Embassy on the day of your appointment. Witnesses must have their own original official and valid pieces of identification. It is your responsibility to ensure that your witnesses meet the eligibility criteria. Your presence is mandatory for this service; please make an appointment with us.

If you have questions about notarial services, email

Payment method

Credit card payment only: Visa and MasterCard are accepted. Use the credit card authorization form.

Details Fee (CAD)
Administering an oath or receiving a statutory declaration or affirmation. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Attesting any document bearing a signature (affidavit, declaration, affirmation, etc.). The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document. 50.00
Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy. 20.00
Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority or in special cases Canadian authorities; fee shown is per document. 50.00
Preparing a document (Nulla Osta, Embassy letter; fee shown is per document. 50.00
Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor (for passport only). 50.00

Passport services

You can pay online for all your passport services before completing your passport application.

Contact us at

Payment method

Pay online for all your passport services.

Details Fee (CAD)
10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 260.00
5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) 190.00
5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age) 100.00
Additional fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport 45.00
Pay online

Pensions and retirement

Refer to:

Verification of status request (Record of landing)

If you have been requested to submit proof of entry or legal status into Canada for your pension application, you will need to apply for a Verification of Status (Record of Landing).

Note: The Embassy and Consulates of Canada no longer accept Verification of status applications, nor do they collect the fees on behalf of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Studying abroad

Refer to Studying abroad and EduCanada.

Study permits

In most cases, you need a study permit to study in Canada. Find out if you need a permit and what documents you need before you apply.


Other grants

Visa and immigration services

Refer to Travel documents – Visas.

Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

Voting abroad

Refer to Voting in an election while outside Canada.

Date Modified: