Position title: Handyman
Type: Indeterminate, Full time at 45 hours per week
Department: Embassy of Canada in Jordan
Number of Vacancies: 1
Salary range: 10,572.68 JOD gross per annum plus 13th and 14th month bonuses paid in June and December respectively (pro-rata dependent on start date)
Close date: Saturday, March 21, 2020 before midnight
Area of Selection / Eligibility:
Open to external applicants eligible to live and work in Jordan, and individuals currently occupying an indeterminate or term position, in the Mission who meet all of the essential qualifications and whose applications are received by the closing date.
Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Jordan does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Summary of Duties
The Handyman is responsible for the completion of general repairs in one or more of the following areas: plumbing, electrical, and specific functional maintenance (such as, Plumbing, central heating, boiler operations & sanitation duties and schedules for all mission1 and/or crown owned or leased assets and equipment. The incumbent must also assist with preparing preventive maintenance programs as required, and assist other Maintenance Team members in the completion of various projects outside their area of expertise.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
Diploma in plumbing & central Heating. An acceptable combination of education (minimum high school diploma) and experience may also be considered.
- Good Command of both Arabic and English (oral, reading, writing)
Experience: (will also be rated as part of the reference check)
- At least 5 years in a similar field of employment
- Valid Jordanian driving licence
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Basic Knowledge of Microsoft office suite (Outlook, Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, Etc.)
- Undertakes repairs or maintenance of crown leased or owned properties and equipment in the following areas: plumbing, central heating, boiler operations & sanitation, in accordance with safety regulations, standards and procedures which includes attending to emergency problems and long term maintenance projects;
- Performs troubleshooting, maintenance, and small repairs related to emergency or non-emergency work orders from staff;
- Assists with maintenance or technical projects in several functional areas such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, water sewage, and boiler operations,
- Performs scheduled maintenance and troubleshoots problems with missions plumbing systems, fixtures, water heaters, water treatment equipment, and appliances.
- Client Focus
- Professional integrity
- Team player
- Time management
- Practical knowledge of general repair work on basic electricity systems (sockets, wiring & plugs) to ensure all installations follow appropriate standards regarding electrical work;
- Practical knowledge of general repair work (gas boilers);
- Providing assistance with maintenance logistics of moving, building, and repairing crown leased furniture;
- Experience physically loading and offloading shipments of goods and materials;
- Experience with collecting, unloading and assembling boxed furniture, light fixtures or other office, or SQ fixtures as required;
- Familiarity conducting pre-paid meter and meter readings of fuel tanks and fuel consumption and ensuring they are topped up and reported as appropriate.
Conditions of Appointment
The successful candidate must be able to legally work in Jordan or at the Embassy of Canada in Jordan.
Applicants must hold a valid working authorization covering the period of employment. If the employment is of an indeterminate nature, or becomes indeterminate, then the work authorization should be permanent or lead by itself to permanent work authorization. The Canadian Government cannot sponsor a candidate to obtain work authorization documents.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to Medical Clearance and Reliability Check (RC) obtained by the Administration and Security sections of the Embassy.
To conduct the Reliability Check (RC), the successful candidate will have to submit the following documents (forms will be provided by the Embassy):
- Personal History Form (plus a recent photograph);
- Personnel Screening Consent and Authorization form;
- Security Screening Certificate and Briefing Form.
Reliability status must be maintained throughout employment – failure to do so may result in dismissal.
How to Apply
Send your applications to AmmanHumanResources@international.gc.ca
Clearly specify in the subject line of the e-mail the title of the position you are applying for.
Only applications submitted to the above e-mail address before the cut-off date and time will be considered for screening.
- Anyone wishing to compete for this position should send their CV/Résumé and a covering letter explaining how they meet the essential criteria.
- Only candidates selected for a written exam or an interview will be contacted.
- The results of this competition will be used to create an eligibility list for similar positions which become available in the future.
- Date Modified: