Government of Canada services and information in Kuwait City, Kuwait
Services and information provided to Canadians by the Embassy of Canada to Kuwait, in Kuwait City.
COVID-19: Travel guidance
All travellers, regardless of citizenship, must meet specific requirements when coming to Canada. For information on COVID-19 and travel, visit COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders.
On this page
- Adoption and surrogacy
- Birth abroad
- Citizenship services
- Death abroad
- Marriage abroad
- Notarial services
- Passport services
- Pensions and retirement
- Same-sex marriage abroad
- Studying abroad
- Visa and immigration services
- Voting abroad
Adoption and surrogacy
Refer to International adoption.
Refer to Birth abroad.
A marriage certificate is mandatory to give birth in Kuwait.
If your child is born outside of Canada, you do not need to register the birth in Canada.
Refer to Canadian citizenship.
Pay your application fees online before you apply for citizenship services.
Mail-in applications are not acceptable.
To apply for new Canadian Citizenship for a newborn child, the Kuwait birth certificate and the marriage certificate have to be translated.
|Application for a Citizenship Certificate for adults and minors (Proof of Citizenship)||75.00|
|Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship||100.00|
|Replacement / Update of proof of Canadian citizenship||75.00|
|Application for a Search of Citizenship Records||75.00|
Refer to Death abroad.
Refer to Marriage outside Canada.
Provide free to marry / declaration in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage in Kuwait. An original and valid Canadian passport is required.
The Embassy of Canada to Kuwait provides notarial services primarily for the benefit of Canadian citizens.
Services provided (fees apply):
Authentication and attestation of Canadian documents
- The Embassy can apply its seal on your Canadian document only if it has been previously authenticated by Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa. The non-validation of the content stamp will be added since the Embassy will only certify the genuineness of the signature and seal of GAC official.
- If the Canadian document was already authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and the Kuwaiti Embassy in Ottawa, Canadians can print the Information Note – Legalizing Canada Issued Documents for Use in Kuwait (.pdf).
Witnessing a signature
- The Embassy may witness a signature on certain documents, on a case-by-case basis. This is not to be confused with attesting or verifying the client’s identity, which cannot be performed by the consular officer.
- Documents to be witnessed must be prepared by the client. Submit the whole document to email@example.com. You will be contacted within 48 hours to confirm if the service can be provided. Bring along with you:
- a Canadian government-issued photo ID
- a signature
- personal details to verify the signature.
The stamp stating that the Embassy does not validate the content of the document will be added.
- Witnessing signatures can often be performed by others, including friends, coworkers, or certain professionals. If you have an urgent need to have your signature witnessed on a document, see Ask travel for a list of local legal service providers.
- A true copy is a certified copy of an original document which may be accepted by institutions as being of equal value as the original.
- Documents that can be certified as true copies:
- Canadian passports
- Canadian IDs
- The Embassy can only certify copies of documents issued by educational institutions if they have been previously authenticated by Global Affairs Canada. Refer to the Authentication/Attestation section above.
Declaration in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage in Kuwait / Free to Marry
- Required documents: Original and valid Canadian passport
The Embassy does not provide the following services:
Authentication and attestation of Kuwaiti and foreign documents
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kuwait’s authentication of any Kuwaiti or foreign-issued document (non-Canadian) is sufficient for use in Kuwait or overseas. Bring the Information Note – Legalizing Kuwait or Foreign Documents for Use in Kuwait or Overseas(.pdf) with you when approaching any local authorities.
Police clearance certificate request form
- The Embassy does not issue letters for the request of police clearances.
- Prior to arrival in Kuwait, Canadians must get a Criminal record check with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or with any local or provincial police station in Canada. This Criminal record check should then be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and the Kuwait Embassy in Ottawa. This allows you to apply for residency without delay.
- If arrangements have not been made in Canada prior to your arrival, you will be required to provide finger prints at the General Department of Criminal Evidence in Farwaniya/Dhajeej and then submit a request for a Criminal record check in Canada. If needed, print the Information Note – Police Clearance Request Letter (.pdf).
Confirming details of a Canadian passport
- For a letter confirming your passport details, please present this Information Note – Confirming Details of a Canadian Passport (.pdf) along with your original Canadian passport and any other required supporting documents and proceed to the requesting authorities.
Transfer of residency to or from a Canadian passport
- The Embassy does not issue a “No objection” letter for transferring a Kuwaiti residency to/from a Canadian passport.
- Canadian citizens should print the Information Note – Transfer of Residency to-From a Canadian Passport (.pdf) and proceed to the Immigration and Passport Directorate along with their passports and any required supporting documents to apply for transferring a residency to/from a Canadian passport.
- The Embassy does not issue “No objection” letters to sponsor family for Kuwait residency.
- Canadian citizens should print the Information Note – Visa-Residency Sponsorship (.pdf) and proceed to the Immigration and Passport Directorate along with any required supporting documents to apply for sponsoring their family member.
- The Embassy does not issue Kuwaiti driver licenses. The Government of Kuwait requires a certification of the status of the province issued driver’s license, which the Embassy of Canada does not have the legal authority to provide.
- To get a Kuwait driver’s license, you must get a certified copy of your driving license/record, signed and stamped by Global Affairs Canada, and the Embassy of Kuwait in Ottawa.
- Contact the General Traffic Department in Kuwait (in Arabic) to obtain the most up-to-date information regarding the process.
Translation and interpretation
- Consular Officers are not permitted to translate documents, certify to the correctness of translations, authenticate translators’ signatures and provide interpretation services.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of translators and interpreters in Kuwait.
- Legal advice can be obtained by local lawyers.
- See Ask travel for a list of local legal service providers.
Credit card accepted (Visa and MasterCard)
|Authenticating (witnessing) a signature. The fee shown is per document.||50.00|
|Authenticating the signature and seal of a foreign authority. The fee shown is per document.||50.00|
|Certifying a true copy of a document. The fee shown is per copy.||20.00|
|Issuing a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad. The fee shown is a minimum, per document.||30.00|
|Making a copy of a document (photocopy). The fee shown is per document.||3.00|
|Providing a Passport Canada CTC. The fee shown is per set of three copies.||45.00|
Refer to Canadian passports and travel documents.
Book an appointment (Canadian citizens only) to present your documents in person. Bring your online payment receipt to your appointment. An authorization is required from applicants who are not able to pick up their passport in person.
|10-year adult passport (age 16 or over)||260.00|
|5-year adult passport (age 16 or over)||190.00|
|5-year Child passport (0-15 years of age)||100.00|
Pensions and retirement
Refer to Benefits for Canadians living abroad.
Same-sex marriage abroad
The laws of Kuwait prohibit sexual acts between individuals of the same sex.
Visa and immigration services
The Embassy of Canada in Kuwait does not offer visa or immigration advice and services. Refer to Travel documents – Visas.
- Apply to travel, study, work or immigrate to Canada.
- Find a visa application centre (VAC) to book an appointment to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photo).
- Submit an enquiry using the IRCC web form to contact a visa office.
Permanent residents of Canada: Find out how to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: