Section: International Business Development
Location: Consulate General of Canada, Boston
Position no: EXT-426217
Competition no: 2019-06
Starting salary: $111,736 USD plus benefits
Date posted: 28 October 2019
Closing date: 19 November 2019
Work for Canada!
With our progressive international and domestic policies, there has never been a better time to work for Canada. Join our global network of investment and trade professionals that operates in more than 161 cities worldwide.
The Consulate General of Canada in Boston is seeking an Investment Officer to join our dynamic and results-oriented trade team of professionals to liaise with companies based in New England to promote and facilitate Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into Canada. Working within a team of ten, this new position is one of two with a responsibility for investment promotion.
Foreign investment is a fundamental driver of Canada’s economy and prosperity. Last year, Canada recorded its largest inflow of foreign direct investment in four years and the interest is growing.
Summary of duties:
Working within the international business development team of the Consulate General of Canada in Boston, under the general direction of the Consul and Trade Commissioner for Investment, the investment officer acts as the focal point responsible for liaising with companies based in New England to facilitate Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Canada. The incumbent is responsible for the facilitation of greenfield and expansion investments in Canada.
Position open to:
- Individuals who are eligible to work in the United States, who meet all of the essential requirements and conditions of employment stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States may apply.
- Note: relocation expenses will not be paid in any circumstance.
The position has a specified period of employment of 3 years, with the possibility of a term extension or a change in status to indeterminate based on operational needs.
The Consulate General of Canada in Boston is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
This selection process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this and other similar positions, with various tenures, including indeterminate or term at the Consulate General of Canada in Boston.
All applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how the applicant meets the education and experience requirements listed below. Only applicants who clearly demonstrate through their application that they meet the education and experience requirements will be contacted for further assessment. Applications must be sent by e-mail to email@example.com by the closing date.
N.B.: All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status;
- Must have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions (i.e. US Citizen, Legal Permanent Resident, A-1 or A-2 visa as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission);
- Must hold and maintain a valid US driver’s license; and
- Must be admissible for travel to Canada and within US.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly in their application how they meet the education and experience requirements listed below:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree from a recognized university in a field related to the position, including but not limited to: commerce, finance, and economics.
- A minimum of five (5) years of recent and direct experience in business development or foreign direct investment attraction;
- Experience in managing client and stakeholder relationships and in providing client service support to customers/clients;
- Experience in project management;
- Experience in providing strategic advice, briefings, and written reports to management and/or clients on international business issues; and
- Experience in using social media tools for promotion and/or to generate new business opportunities.
- Fluency in English (oral and written).
- Ability to work in French is an asset.
Only candidates who meet the education and experience requirements will be contacted for assessment of the rated requirements. The assessment of the rated requirements below may include an interview, a written test, and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
- Knowledge of the role of governments in attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI);
- Knowledge of the factors that influence investment, expansion and relocation decisions, and of Canada’s value proposition for investors; and
- Knowledge of trends and recent developments in the Canadian and US economy.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Secure, prepare for, conduct, and provide follow-up to an investment outcall;
- Build and sustain a network of contacts;
- Analyze information and provide strategic advice;
- Manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines;
- Use social media tools for promotion and/or to generate new business opportunities;
- Use of technology tools and data bases.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Client-focus orientation.
- The ability to communicate effectively in French both orally and in writing would be an asset.
- A graduate degree from a recognized university would be an asset.
- Must be able to work overtime on short notice on occasion; and
- Must be available for occasional duties outside normal working hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that are successful at the interview stage and will be used to validate information provided by candidates.
- Date Modified: