The Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, California seeks to hire a competent and knowledgeable, task-oriented individual with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills to provide administrative and operational support to the Consul General.
Position Title: Assistant to the Consul General (Anticipatory Staffing)
Section: Head of Mission
Location: Consulate of General of Canada, Los Angeles
Position Number: EXT - 305449
Starting Salary: 60,401 USD plus benefits
Competition No: LNGLS_2020_01
Posting Date: February 18, 2020
Closing Date: March 3, 2020
- Persons living in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area;
- Employees of the Consulate General in Los Angeles;
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States (Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance);
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles.
Employees of the Consulate General of Canada, Los Angeles or any Canadian Mission in the U.S. currently at this level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest. Relocation fees will not be paid in any circumstance.
Anticipatory Indeterminate. This competitive staffing process will be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term and/or assignment/transfer at the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, which might arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
All Applicants Must
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Have independent work authorization in the U.S. and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Be resident in the United States;
- Be eligible for a Government of Canada Reliability Status, which includes a criminal and credit background check and;
- Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter by the closing date. The one-page cover letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements for this position;
- Confirm residency in the United States and;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: It is your responsibility to provide the information requested above, otherwise your application will be rejected. All communications relating to this process, including email correspondence, can be used in the assessment.
Summary of Duties
Reporting directly to the Consul General, the Head of Mission Assistant performs a range of executive and administrative support duties requiring the utmost discretion. The Consul General’s Assistant ensures the coordination and delivery of administrative support to the office of the Consul General, the delivery of various services and effective liaison within the mission and with the offices of senior officials of foreign governments, industry representatives and other embassies.
This position provides executive administrative support services to the Consul General by preparing expense claims and budget reports to ensure efficient management and accountability of the Consul General’s program funds; leading and/or coordinating hospitality arrangements including event planning and preparing electronic or hand written invitations; undertaking research tasks and preparing briefing reports; reviewing and preparing correspondence requiring the Consul General’s action and signature; managing the Consul General’s social media accounts; coordinating travel arrangements; and performing other duties required.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly, how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below: Please be specific and provide examples for each of the qualifications.
- Advanced knowledge of written and spoken English is required for this position.
- Bachelor's or college degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years demonstrated experience performing administrative tasks for a senior executive in a public or private sector organization, including handling sensitive and/or confidential information;
- Experience in researching and preparing well-written and accurate correspondence and other briefing products;
- Experience providing budget management and expense reporting services;
- Experience organizing public events including managing guest lists and facilities arrangements.
- Experience working with a range of office equipment, including computers, scanners, tablets, digital projectors, cameras, and video conferencing devices.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. Assessment can be done using a written exam, interview, in basket exercises, aptitude test, reference check or a combination of these methods.
- Microsoft Office software.
- General administrative principles including but not limited to filing, organizing meetings; e-mail and phone etiquette;
- Knowledge of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn;
- Government of Canada’s international objectives and priorities in the United States.
- Knowledge of the political and economic/trade issues – in the U.S. generally and in the territories covered by the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles – that could have an impact on Canadian interests.
- Converse in an articulate, professional manner suited to the audience;
- Prepare concise, accurate and effective communications using a variety of tools;
- Manage logistical arrangements and details for travel, meetings and receptions;
- Establish and maintain relationships with partners, colleagues and offices of senior officials in external organizations;
- Work effectively in a team environment with minimal supervision and demonstrating good judgment and decision making skills;
- Prepare expense claims and budget reports;
- Prioritize and organize workload, multi-task and work effectively under pressure.
- Detailed oriented
- Adaptable and flexible
- The ability to communicate effectively in French both orally and in writing would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by Human Resources for an interview or other form(s) of assessment (a written test, an in-basket exercise, and /or a skills test) of the Rated Requirements for the position. All candidates are required to show proof of legal status to live and work in the US. Reference verifications may also be carried out.
The Consulate General is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
The Consulate General offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term disability, and a pension plan to name a few.
Method of Application
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com by the closing date of March 3, 2020. On subject line of email, write only your last name in all caps followed by this competition number: LNGLS_2020_01. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Hours of Work
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. There may be a need for overtime work, when required.
- Date Modified: