The Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, California seeks to hire a competent and knowledgeable, task-oriented individual with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills to provide administrative and operational support to the Consul General.
Position title: Assistant to the Consul General
Section: Head of Mission
Location: Consulate of General of Canada, Los Angeles
Position Number: EXT - 305449
StartinS Salary: 61,669 USD plus benefits
Competition No: LNGLS_2020_04
Posting date: August 27th , 2020
Closing date: September 10th, 2020
- Persons living in the United States of America*;
- Employees of the Consulate General in Los Angeles;
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States*;
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles.
*Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
Employees of the Consulate General of Canada, Los Angeles or any Canadian Mission in the U.S. currently at this level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest. Relocation fees will not be paid under any circumstance.
Indeterminate (permanent) Full Time.
This competitive staffing process will also be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term and/or assignment/transfer at the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles, which might arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
All applicants must:
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. Te cover letter must not exceed two pages and must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential qualifications for this position, including language, education and/or experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States and;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Summary of duties:
The Head of Mission Program Assistant reports directly to the Consul General, and performs a range of executive and administrative support duties. Given the sensitive nature of the job, this position requires the utmost discretion.
The program assistant undertakes the following tasks:
- Coordinates and delivers administrative support to the office of the Consul General;
- Liaises with section heads and teams within the Consulate and with the offices of senior officials of foreign governments present in territory, industry representatives, executives in the private sector, and other local interlocutors;
- Prepares expense claims and budget reports to ensure efficient management and accountability of the Consul General’s program funds;
- Plans and coordinates hospitality arrangements including event planning and invoice management;
- Undertakes research tasks and prepares briefing reports;
- Reviews and prepares correspondence which require the Consul General’s action and signature;
- Manages the Consul General’s social media accounts;
- Coordinates travel arrangements;And performs other duties as required.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. There may be an occasional need for paid overtime work.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly, how they meet all of the Language, Experience and Education requirements listed below.
In your cover letter, please be specific and provide examples for each of the required qualifications.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required for this position.
- At least three (3) years demonstrated experience performing administrative tasks for a senior executive in a public or private sector organization, including handling sensitive and/or confidential information;
- Experience researching and preparing well-written and accurate correspondence and other briefing products;
- Experience managing a budget and reporting expenses;
- Experience organizing public events including managing guest lists and coordinating the activities of vendors;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and other administrative office suites;
- Experience managing corporate Social Media accounts.
- Bachelor's or college degree from an accredited college or university, OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and/or work experience in a related field will be considered in place of Bachelor’s or college degree.
Candidates who meet the Essential Language, Experience and Education requirements will then be assessed on the stated requirements below. These requirements may be assessed though a combination of a written exam, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a knowledge-based aptitude test, and reference checks.
- Knowledge of the Government of Canada’s policy objectives and priorities in the United States.
- Knowledge of the range of political and economic/trade issues – in the U.S. generally and in the territory covered by the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles – that could impact Canadian interests.
- Ability to prepare concise, accurate and effective written communication;
- Ability to manage logistical arrangements and details for travel, meetings and receptions;
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment with minimal supervision;
- Ability to establish effective interpersonal relationships with contacts, colleagues and their supervisor;
- Ability to prepare and submit expense claims and budget reports;
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload, and work effectively under pressure;
- Ability to effectively use social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) in a business setting.
- Strong Ethics and Discretion
- Effective Communication
- Attention to Detail
- Strong Judgement
- Adaptable and Flexible
These abilities would be considered additionally beneficial if all other qualifications are met:
- The ability to communicate effectively in French, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, both orally and in writing.
The staffing process will consist first of a review of all applications to screen in applicants who meet the essential qualifications. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Human Resources will only contact those applicants who meet these qualifications for an interview or other form(s) of assessment (a written test, an in-basket exercise, and/or a skills test) of the Rated Requirements for the position.
All candidates are required to show proof of legal status to live and work in the US. Proof of education will be required (if being assessed along with work experience). Reference checks will also be carried out.
The Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer, actively looking to increase diversity in our office and we encourage applications from diverse segments of the community. The Consulate is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of their ethnic background, race, religious affiliation, marital status, family status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or sexual orientation.
Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
The Consulate General offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package including medical, dental, long term disability coverage, and a pension plan.
Conditions of employment (must be met):
- The successful candidate will be required to obtain Government of Canada Reliability Status (RS) through our office, which includes a criminal, and credit background check. These checks must come back positive in order for the Reliability Status to be granted.
- Have independent work authorization in the U.S. and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Availability to start immediately once the staffing process is complete.
Method of application:
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com by the closing date of September 10th, 2020. On the subject line of the email, write only your LAST NAME in all caps followed by this competition number: LNGLS_2020_04. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
- Date Modified: