Emergency Employment Part Time – Administrative Assistant
Position title: Administrative Assistant
Section: Common Services
Location: Consulate General of Canada, Seattle
Position number: EXT-307794
Starting salary: US$46,008 per annum
Competition number: SEATL_2020_01
Date posted: October 5, 2020
Closing date: Midnight, October 12, 2020 (PT)
The Consulate General of Canada in Seattle is seeking a qualified candidate for an emergency part-time temporary position of Administrative Assistant to provide front-line client services and administrative support.
Summary of duties
Under the supervision of the Mission Administration Officer (MAO):
- provide front-line support to the Consulate by operating the switchboard and auto-attendant
- provide concise and accurate information to visitors and callers concerning the Consulate General of Canada in Seattle, and Canada in general
- control access to the Consulate upholding the screening and security policy
- ensure the open public areas are in good order
- receive and direct courier and hand-delivered mail
- provide administrative support and general services for the Common Services Program, including scanning and copying
- provide basic administrative, maintenance and support services to the mission following the established mission and departmental policies, and as assigned by the MAO
- Persons living in the greater Seattle metropolitan area.
- Employees of any Canadian missions in the U.S. Relocation. Expenses will not be paid under any circumstances.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada based staff at the Consulate General of Canada, Seattle.
There is one (1) emergency temporary part-time position available. Expected end date of the assignment is March 31, 2021, which may or may not be extended or terminated earlier depending on Mission operational needs.
This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and other similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment, transfer or acting opportunities at the Consulate General of Canada in Seattle, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed.
- Successful completion of post-secondary school.
- Fluency in English (oral and written). The incumbent must be proficient in English sufficient to understand instructions and communicate information as required to carry out the duties below. (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent experience providing front-line customer service in a corporate or government office setting, which involved responding to inquiries from the public
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent experience providing administrative support services to a diverse work team
- Experience using MS Office Suite, for example, Word, Excel and Outlook
*Recent is defined as within the last 5 years.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of general administrative processes and procedures including but not limited to office organizational procedures, generally accepted meeting, email and phone etiquette, etc.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in computer software, including Microsoft Office Suite, such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Provide excellent client service in person, by telephone and electronically
- Maintain composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients
- Assess situations that involve a security or safety issue
- Ability to prioritize and organize work
- Ability to provide administrative support services
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Sound judgment
- Adaptable and flexible
- Highly collaborative working style
- Confidentiality (ability to keep sensitive information on a need-to-know basis)
Conditions of employment (must be met)
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions
- Copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process
- Successful candidate must have a valid passport and the required documentation allowing the right to work in the U.S. and travel as necessary
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Consulate General of Canada, Seattle is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. The Consulate is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Method of application
Applications should be sent by e-mail to SEATL(G)@international.gc.ca by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates should confirm that they meet all the Essential requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description and indicate the position number.
On the subject line of the email, write only your last name in all caps followed by this competition number: SEATL_2020_01. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Hours of work
Normal hours of work for this position are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, Monday to Friday, and are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States.
- Date Modified: