Trade Commissioner Assistant
Position title: Trade Commissioner Assistant
Section: International Business Development
Location: Consulate of Canada, San Diego, California
Position no: EXT - 409751
Competition no: LNGLS_2020_03
Starting salary: 53,512 USD plus benefits
Date posted: July 6, 2020
Closing date: July 17, 2020
The Consulate of Canada in San Diego, California is a satellite office to the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles. We are seeking an individual who is exceptionally hard working, collaborative, has strong problem solving, critical thinking and administrative skills, and above all a self-starter committed to client success and prosperity.
- The general public who meet all the essential requirements*
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States may apply*.
*Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
Employees of any Canadian Mission in the U.S. currently at this level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest.
This competitive staffing process will be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term and/or assignment/transfer at the Consulate of Canada in San Diego, which might arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below
- Have independent work authorization in the U.S. and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions;
- Be eligible for a Government of Canada Reliability Status, which includes a criminal and credit background check and
- Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter by the closing date. The one-page cover letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements for this position
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in the application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence, may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Reporting directly to the Consul and Trade Commissioner (Head of Office), the individual will:
- Track budget resources, process claims/invoices/payments of vendors, and maintain appropriate records and knowledge of policies
- Prepare contract forms for approval and track contracts with external service providers for completeness on behalf of the team
- Provide a variety of administrative, logistical, and organizational support to the team
- Establish and maintain a range of operational contacts by developing/updating lists used for various purposes
- Work collaboratively with administrative support in Los Angeles, Washington, and Ottawa.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly, how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below: Please be specific and provide examples for each of the qualifications.
Advanced knowledge of written and spoken English is required for this position.
Bachelor's or college degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 3 years recent* experience in an administrative support role in a professional office environment
- Recent experience tracking budget resources, and processing claims/invoices/payments
- Recent experience in supporting event planning, projects, initiatives, and activities
- Recent experience in drafting responses to public inquiries, including conducting research and writing correspondence
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office and CRM systems.
*Recent as defined in the last 5 years.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. Assessment can be done using a written exam, interview, in basket exercises, aptitude test, reference check or a combination of these methods.
- Role of the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access
- Manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Use of social media tools for promotion and/or generate new business opportunities
- Take initiative to identify and solve problems
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Attention to detail
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Integrity and resilience.
The ability to communicate effectively in French both orally and in writing would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by Human Resources for an interview or other form(s) of assessment (a written test, an in-basket exercise, and /or a skills test) of the Rated Requirements for the position. All candidates are required to show proof of legal status to live and work in the US. Reference verifications may also be carried out.
The Consulate of Canada is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
The Consulate of Canada offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term disability, and a pension plan to name a few.
Method of application:
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of July 17, 2020 at midnight PST. On subject line of email, write only your last name in all caps followed by this competition number: LNGLS_2020_03. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. There may be a need for overtime work, when required.
- Date Modified: